Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why have charging problems in the first place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why have charging problems in the first place?

After dealing with charging issues on two bikes, and reading many pages of woeful tales about stator and RR problems, I am appalled at the motorcycle industry's failure to engineer a durable charging system. My Subaru has 325K miles in 13 years and it has never had a problem with charging or voltage regulation. WTF were Suzuki and Honda thinking? What is their excuse for this unreliable design?

The 550 started running down the battery this week. I know that two weeks ago I had connected the RR negative wire to a frame ground instead of the battery negative - subsequent reading of these pages has taught me that this is a bad thing. I also have been doing a lot of putting around town at low speeds lately. Could a week (maybe 200 miles) of these two things combined like that have impacted the system so badly?

Hi,

It's not that the charging system isn't durable. Granted, it's not the best. But it was pretty much state-of-the-art when the bikes were originally sold, considering manufacturing costs, of course.

What takes its toll on the charging system is lack of maintenance and 30 years of corrosion. I never have any problems with my charging system since I've cleaned all the connections and grounds, installed new stator, r/r unit, and AGM battery.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

It's not that the charging system isn't durable. Granted, it's not the best. But it was pretty much state-of-the-art when the bikes were originally sold, considering manufacturing costs, of course.

What takes its toll on the charging system is lack of maintenance and 30 years of corrosion. I never have any problems with my charging system since I've cleaned all the connections and grounds, installed new stator, r/r unit, and AGM battery.

BassCliff
      Cliff...I am fairly convinced that Bob has a point...
      My '01 Triumph uses a stator reg/rectifier arrangement similar to the old Zuks...and they have the same issues...
      I have a friend at work with a late model Japanese cruiser that just burned up a stator...

The tech may have been state of the art in the 80s, but lots of bikes still use it...

Now my 16 year old BMW has a modern, 50amp alternator...but that's how those German guys build bikes...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

It's not that the charging system isn't durable...

...I never have any problems with my charging system since I've cleaned all the connections and grounds, installed new stator, r/r unit, and AGM battery.

BassCliff
        Thanks, but the fact that you have had to replace the entire system is sort of my point.

Comment

Cost & simplicity is what a lot of it's about.... there is nothing wrong with the system in essence, all they really need to do is change to series style regulators & make sure the Stator has ample cooling....

Some bikes don't have space for an alternator. They are usually heavier. Alternators aren't usually suited to off-road or dualsport bikes (dirt & water).
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            The tech may have been state of the art in the 80s, but lots of bikes still use it...

Now my 16 year old BMW has a modern, 50amp alternator...but that's how those German guys build bikes...
            My 11 year old Wing also came with a modern, 45 amp alternator. It failed in about 4 years.
            The previous owner of my bike saw fit to upgrade it with a Compufire alternator (name sound familiar? ) that pumps out a whopping 95+ amps.
            I think the PO put about 20,000 miles on the new alternator, and I have added another 80,000, it's still going strong.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

!996 Bandit 600S @ 31k mi;has external car/type alternator ,OEM battery never died,I retired it after 11yrs,just because and you never know when feeling. 2nd MF battery 4yrs old, ok,so far so good. Yes, what contrast of sorts. Subaru good!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                Thanks, but the fact that you have had to replace the entire system is sort of my point.
                I had to replace the alternator my 16 year old truck too, along with a few batteries. Nothing lasts forever. But it will last longer if you take care of it properly.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X