signals not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signals not working

My signal on the left side does not work at idle but if i rev the engine up it will flash. Just wondering if it might be the flasher can i put a regular 12v automotive flasher in or does it need to be original suzuki part. My bike is an 83 katana 650

Check your bulbs - probably just a loose or dirty bulb holder. Plus check the rating (watts) and maybe swap bulbs around from the other side. Your flasher unit is fine if one side works ok; the problem is in the circuit for the side that doesn't work.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

It sounds to me like a dead battery/charging system issue. Check and clean all electrical connections and test your charging system.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

my 82 does the same thing, but only on the left side. the right works fine at any engine speed. I am getting 13.4 v at idle and 14.4 at 2500 rpm, so it is charging. I have not checked for voltage drops in the harness. What is the proper bulb wattage?

Comment

Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
          My signal on the left side does not work at idle but if i rev the engine up it will flash. Just wondering if it might be the flasher can i put a regular 12v automotive flasher in or does it need to be original suzuki part. My bike is an 83 katana 650
          To understand what is going on here you need to understand the flasher (stock flasher anyway) works based on the amount of current flowing. If more current then flashes faster (like would happen if added more bulbs or changed bulb to higher wattage). If less curent, then flashes slower, and if not enough current (like one bulb burnt out) then may not flash at all. Or... if charging system not putting out enough to keep the battery voltage up enough to light the lights as expected, the may not flash either.

So, I say, check the battery voltage with bike running at idle and at mid rpms (~ 4 thousand rpm). Tell us what you find.

I am not familiar enough with the Kats to say about using automotive flasher. But the prtoblem is not the flasher, but more related to what bulbs and how well the charging is working. Or maybe battery is really bad, but if that were the case you probably whould have mentioned that aslo has hard time starting or have to use charger or something.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

First thing- check the connections. Especially the socket into which the bulb fits. You have a bad connection somewhere- likely corrosion.

Comment

There is a simple test for this type of problem:

1) Unplug the flasher relay.
              2) Identify the two wires marked "L" and "B" on the flasher relay.
              3) Connect those two wires together
              4) With ignition on, set flasher switch to left and right. Both front and rear flashers on either side should come on without flashing. This proves your bulbs and wiring are functional

Note: The OEM flasher unit and many other load dependent types require a 21W or 23W bulb in both the front and rear flashers. A 10W in any one or both could be the cause of flashing problems. Many after market flashers, especially small ones may have low wattage bulbs or LED's that will not work with the OEM flasher unit!

Comment

The other part of that circuit path is the ground. It may need some attention.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X