X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question, '83 GS 450L R/R Status

Hey,

I got a quick question for you all...
    Just picked up a fresh battery. Preped it, and its fully charged.
    Maintains charge at 12.6V DC. Placed it in the bike and maintained 12.6VDC connected.

Started bike, no voltage change... Reved bike to about 3500-4000 RPM, Voltage changes to 16.5V DC.

Voltage to high / defective rectifier/regulator or is this in spec? Manual suggests that is to much voltage for battery.

The issue was that the incorrect battery was installed, and it was boiled dry before the maintenance period. I didn't check on it soon enough. And with it so totally dead, I could not check the charging system under load.

Thanks in advance.

I believe that is way too high voltage and your R/R is probably not doing it's job and cooked the battery. That's a common problem and a great time to upgrade to a better unit and also go through all of your terminal connectors at the same time.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, you are over-charging. Have a look at these:

Stator Papers IV - Fault finding chart for checking your GS's entire charging system

More On The Stator Papers

GS Charging System Health+Quick Test

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That is unfortunate. The Regulator part of your Rectifier/Regulator is not regulating down to the specified 14.5V. It, along with the battery, must be replaced. The Honda R/R units are favored over the OEM units.

Comment

Dang...

Well that's easy then, glad I checked, and didn't cook my new battery

I suspected that overcharging might be the case, the way the battery died on it.

Comment

Replace the water in the battery with distilled water and it may bounce back. Boiling it dry doesn't necessarily kill it, but not real good for it.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yea there were several things that led up to the horrible death of the old battery. One was that the battery was not check or maintained by me. I had it scheduled to maintain the battery 1 day later after work, which was one day later then I had on the battery in its state, as other maintenance items took precedence. Two was that I was juggling my car and bike, as my car had gone in three times to deal with a stalling issue linked to 2 faulty sensors, one failed after resetting the ECU, and replacing Plugs and Plug Wires. Also the bike got more hours in then I wanted with out more time for maintenance tasks being carried out. The Regulator was over charging the battery, and last but not least, the battery was under rated in any event (IE wrong size/ wrong rating).

I ended up ordering the correct battery, and the old one was to damaged to even try to do anything with it... Use the right size battery kids. Also I'd like to point out, that the previous owner bought if from WallM, and their computer did recommend that particular battery for the bike. It however is not the right amp hour rating nor cold cranking amp rating. Although size wise its golden.

Anyhow I put the new battery in, and rode it 10 min to work, figured out that it was over charging, headed to swap it for my car after work. Get in my car, which is still having problems (having replaced plugs wires and now an O2 sensor) and so I end up just sucking it up and take the bike. Car went back in. Oh well... Had the bike home, car in the shop for more parts the third time. Went to start it for a half day more of limping along, bike flooded and wont start. Charge up the battery, battery was at 50%? Figured that I killed the battery. Nope it charged up fine, put it in the bike, the bike was flooded. Drained the carbs, air dryed the plugs, and finally get the bike started (40 minutes ordeal to un flood the bike). Look down, bike is smoking. Though very hard about turning the bike off (my only way to get to work at this point). Unaware of what is now burning I decide fun lets turn the bike back off. Turn off the bike, inspect, oil is leaking from clutch area, (under the plate where clutch cable and chain are) dripping onto tail pipe. Somewhere in all of the fun a serious leak has started. Strange. Neighbor is watching curiously sitting on his CBR 600 enjoying the show. ;-P By this point new works are flying. I was just one crazy happy camper, but decide oh if you want to play this game today Zukie then your going to the shop as you are, fired it up it actually started, guess it wanted to go to the shop, looked at the neighbor and said "Time for a mechanic intervention". He nodded and I drove it to the shop a day early.

Well they were going to work on it anyway for tires sprockets and chains. I ordered the parts, and it was not much more to have the sprockets and chains installed by some one drastically more skilled at wrenching. Hey I just did my first chain adjustment last week ok... At least the car was ready at about noon, thank god. I have never been happier to have my car back in working condition and so sad to have zero days of riding with 7 days of down time on my bike.

I mentioned to my bike that we would have had new tires, sprockets, and a chain in and maybe had a nice ride but she blew it. I mentioned that she got to sit in the shop over the weekend waiting on some parts while other bikes were going to enjoy the last few nice weekends. Show up with tools in my pockets, a battery charger, a multi meter in my back pack, gear half way put on, and said, here deal with it. I'm so done with this bike right now. He gets on to pull it around back starts right up. Grrr. Tired it in the back one more time and she was acting flaky back there too. Not a good patient. Hopefully the damage is minimal. Said, yea um I am going for less excitement on my rides, Said just let me know how much I owe you when done. Have fun with the 20 years of maintenance, because at this point I have no transportation, and I am totally totally done with this bike right now. Took the tools from my pocket set them on the desk, said these go with the bike tool kit. I used these to get this here, and its leaking for some unknown reason, so just so its not dripping all over your floor. They laughed, and said we will take care of you. I thanked them profusely and left, hitching a ride to work.

Car back, bike back in shop. More parts arrived today from UPS for the bike. Bike almost made it in time to get my car back. I think the battery survived though. Very tricky to un flood a Suzuki apparently.

On the plus side, aside from being late to work, I did get my car back and was able to make it to class tonight as well. Wow no problems. LOL Thankfully the bike shop is awesome and I'm sure that when I do get her back she will be problem free and maintainable. She was getting a little to fistey and out of hand for me. She can sit around with the other bad bikes and wait on parts... I am in the frustrated money pit mode.... SO I had to vent. Secretly I cant WAIT To get a working bike back. Sigh, now I know why some of you have so many bikes. I am still totally utterly and hopelessly addicted. I like a manageable project, I don't like an out of hand project. At least don't break at the same time as my car! Sheesh.

Comment

Yeah, these new-to-you bikes can be an adventure. But , to be fair, who knows how poorly it's been maintained , so you get to find out. Personally, I assume the worst, but hope for the best. A 30 year old pristine looking bike would make me suspicious- I prefer the well used look.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X