Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems like cylinder 1 and 2 are the only two firing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No chance you got your 3 & 4 plug wires crossed is there?
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Defore View Post
      And tkent02 how am I ruining my 30 yr old bike?
      Have you ever heard of burnt valves? go ahead, neglect checking those clearances and you'll soon find out.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Sitting on the bike looking down, the left coil with white wire goes to cylinder 1 and 4 and the right coil with black wire goes to cylinder 2 and 4 correct? And since y'all are set on valves I'm doing a compression test when I get in town in about an hour or so and then well see if I'm leaking.

Comment

I'm sure you meant 2&3 (typos happen). Do the compression check (if you are not sure how I suspect BassCliff has the procedure posted). If it is low, check your valve clearances and redo the compression check. If the compression is within tolerances, the only other culprit would be the carbs.
          Float levels and needles and seats are the usual suspects, btw.

Comment

It's not a matter of doing a compression test and seeing if you are leaking. It is ESSENTIAL that you physically use a feeler gauge and measure the gap between the camshafts and shims to ensure there's sufficient clearance. The valves will tighten up over time by design and if they get too tight, like Rusty said, you'll burn them up badly. You'll suffer significant engine damage as a result.

But it's your bike.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes i ment 2 and 3 and Im thinking float levels need to be adjusted. So everyone is set on valves being out of wack on a bike with 3000 miles?

Comment

Not that they are out of whack just saying you should MAKE SURE. Plus, recommended check period is roughly every 4000 miles.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Well if I'm gona do it I might as well do it right. What's the valve clearance need to be at?

Comment

Between .03mm and .08mm. Contact Steve (his name and username) for his spreadsheet to help track it and if it needs shims, the Shim Club on here is pretty good (check out services section or PM GhostGS1)

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

If the bike runs on cylinders 1 & 2, I would assume the timing is at least in the ball park for 3 & 4. Since all spark plugs get spark, and the plugs are wet, meaning it gets fuel, it should fire unless the amount of fuel is so highly restricted (choke not working on those two, or way too rich) I would at least think I'd get a backfire though. That would leave the plug wires for 3 & 4 being crossed, or not enough compression.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Yes i ment 2 and 3 and Im thinking float levels need to be adjusted. So everyone is set on valves being out of wack on a bike with 3000 miles?
                        It is more of a procedural thing. There are just certain things that must be done to insure a solid bike and that is one of them.
                        Cowboy, he can do the compression check prior to adjusting the valves. If they are too tight there will be a loss of compression, that is all. The bike is not going on the road until it runs correctly. But as I stated in my first post, it is a must-do procedure before taking it on the road.
                        Sedelen, since he rebuilt the carbs it is possible that the enrichment circuit is not functioning correctly. However, that would be a blocked or partially blocked passage, which would cause a lean condition. The wet plugs indicate a rich condition or inability to fire the charge correctly due to low compression or far too much fuel.
                        A leak down test would be best if the compression is low and the valve clearances are within tolerance. The leak down test narrows it down to valves, rings or head gasket. But I normally save that for last because of the equipment and time involved (quality air compressor, tools, and setting the cylinder under test to TDC). In my garage that would be no big thing on a bike, but it is not something the shade tree mechanic normally has laying around.
                        Defore, since you don't even know the clearances you need to get the procedure and study it carefully. The cams need to be in the correct position prior to the check, and you will want to use the zip tie method to change shims.

Comment

I did 2 head gaskets on a 1995 camaro z28 in a Gainesville parking lot with a 52pc craftsmen set. I think i can do a lil valve job with the tools I have on hand now. Thank god but anyway I just did the compression test and I'm afraid y'all were right. Only cylinder 1 has 65lbs and slowly leaks where 2 thru 4 were only maybe 30lbs and leaked pretty fast...so either valves and or rings? I hope to god not rings! OK guys so where to begin. Pull off valve cover after I have it set at tdc and then what? Anything else I should know?

Comment

Although written for the 850, the procedures are nearly identical.

I bought the Suzuki tool and don't have problems with it but many folks like the zip tie method.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Did you check compression with the throttle open? Your numbers are typical with the throttle closed.
                              And,
                              The most likely place to lose compression is through incorrect valve clearances. The clearances normally get tighter with wear, especially on lower mileage engines. There can be no compression if the valves are not closed. If you run it this way, you will burn valves.
                              Again, check the clearances. .03mm is the very minimum, .08 or even .10mm is better.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I did 2 head gaskets on a 1995 camaro z28 in a Gainesville parking lot with a 52pc craftsmen set. I think i can do a lil valve job with the tools I have on hand now. Thank god but anyway I just did the compression test and I'm afraid y'all were right. Only cylinder 1 has 65lbs and slowly leaks where 2 thru 4 were only maybe 30lbs and leaked pretty fast...so either valves and or rings? I hope to god not rings! OK guys so where to begin. Pull off valve cover after I have it set at tdc and then what? Anything else I should know?
                                I was not doubting your ability to pull the head, rather the equipment to do a leak down test. It requires a decent air compressor and a leak down tester tool, and the knowledge to run the tests.
                                On these bikes, if it still has low compression after the valve clearances are dialed in, you will need to pull the head and the cylinder block. Not that difficult as long as you take your time. Fortunately, you are not in a parking lot (I hope).
                                Rings are not that bad. You need to pull the cylinder block anyway, since if you just pull the head you are almost guaranteed to cause a leak at the base gasket when it goes back together.
                                If you have an air compressor I think you can do the rent it and return it (for the leak down tester) at you local auto parts. Or you can check the ring clearances when you pull the block. Most of the time the valves just need to be lapped in if they are at fault.

Comment

Working...
                                X