Starter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter issues

I took my bike completely apart over the winter and have started to piece everything back together. I got the electrical stuff back together today, and most of the stuff is working - lights, signals, gauges. But when I hit the starter button, the solenoid just clicks. It's an aftermarket solenoid, so it doesn't say which wire goes to which post, so I've tried switching the wires, and it's still the same. When I hit the button, the lights dim, so I know it's drawing power, but it's just not doing anything. Where should I start to look?

Charge the battery !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Charge the battery !!!
      Battery has been hooked to a tender for about a month

Comment

Hi,

Make sure all cable connections are clean and securely fastened. Does the starter spin freely if you take it out and test it? Does the starter need rebuilding (new brush kit)? What is the resting voltage of your battery? What is the voltage as you press the start button? Take your battery to a shop or auto parts store and have it load tested. If you try jumping your battery, do so from a car that is NOT RUNNING.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I hooked it back up to the charger since it had been out and used while I was trying to get everything back together, maybe it dropped enough to cause problems

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Battery has been hooked to a tender for about a month
            Doesn't mean it's charged... see Basscliff's post above. You must do science to it (use a meter) to learn anything useful.

Anyway, ASSuming clean, correct connections and a healthy battery, which are in reality things you can never actually assume...

Short between the two large terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver you don't care about (make sure it doesn't touch the frame or anything else). Yes, there will be sparks.

If the bike cranks, then you have a problem with the solenoid or the starter button circuit.

If not, odds are the starter's stuffed. It may just need brushes, or it may be completely verklempt. At that point, take it out and bench test it (use jumper cables to see if it spins -- negative to the body of the starter, touch the positive to the terminal on the side of the starter). If still no joy, take it apart and take a look. You can get brushes and starters here: http://stockers.com

If the starter tests good (a nice healthy spinnywhiz when you bench test), the engine may be locked. Take the ignition cover on the right off and try turning the engine clockwise with a 19mm wrench.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Have you taken a power light to each of your fuses and verified everything is good (don't just look at them but really test them)?
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sure sounds like a weak battery, but doublecheck solenoid connections- make sure solenoid is switching the positive juice to battery.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I guess after checking all the connections earlier, it drained the battery enough. Took it off the tender and it cranked right over.

Finally got all the wiring relocated, so now the only winter projects left are to finish painting, fork seals, and get the new tires mounted.

Comment

Working...
                  X