Suitable LED Flasher????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable LED Flasher????

This unit claims to have a min draw of 0.02 amps to trigger. I am waiting for confirmation from the seller. This would solve my TRION electronic flasher's failure to handle an all led bulb setup(have to run standard bulbs in my rear signals).

I had also thought I could mount a second set of turn sigs in the rear to get more draw.

1. This would certainly help to get more attention from following drivers.
    2. It would also make Roadkill look even stranger (see 1. above) In the philosophy that any effect that has a driver thinking, "Now what kind of a nut would need double turn signals" means that driver is conscious of my presence & focused on me. Much better than self-respect.

DH

I can't see that link while at work, but keep in mind that ANY aftermarket turn signal flasher you put in there will negate the auto-cancelling feature of the turn signals. You will have to turn them OFF yourself.

Also keep in mind that, just because the flasher has three pins and the socket has three pins, they are not necessarily the same function. I can GUARANTEE that the third pin in the socket will not do you any good, as that is the control wire from the TSCU, or Turn Signal Control Unit. Your new flasher will require a ground to one of its terminals, so you will have to do some minor re-wiring.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Roll your own...
      Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

ON my 750 with the Koso gauge set I had to put a 2 ohm resistor in the line for one of the signals. Then it would trigger....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I can't see that link while at work, but keep in mind that ANY aftermarket turn signal flasher you put in there will negate the auto-cancelling feature of the turn signals. You will have to turn them OFF yourself.

Also keep in mind that, just because the flasher has three pins and the socket has three pins, they are not necessarily the same function. I can GUARANTEE that the third pin in the socket will not do you any good, as that is the control wire from the TSCU, or Turn Signal Control Unit. Your new flasher will require a ground to one of its terminals, so you will have to do some minor re-wiring.

Thanks guys, Regarding above quote, the first thing I changed on Roadkill when I got her was to pull that auto cancelling unit off. If anyone wants it for the cost of postage lemmee know. I never hated a device as much. Prefer the persoanl control that I always had to use.

I now have a TRION (sp??) electronic flasher set up. I believe it is a 3 pin basic auto flasher I got at some auto parts store years ago. Just doesn't work when I mount full array of LED bulbs so I've kept traditional 1156s in the rear units.

The diagram on the body of this unit on ebay as well as the simple diagram included with the few pics of it pretty much look like same arrangement I have now as far as wiring.

My goal here is to use as much LED as possible on the bike to make a bit more juice available for goodies like heated vest & perhaps in the future heated grips. With all the accessory lights on my Vetter trunk/fairing, etc & a Nautilus mini air horn, I just want to keep the draw down on the lighting. I was drawing over 100 wats when I hit the brakes before I started swapping out w/LEDs.

Hoping a more sensitive flasher designed for LEDs specifically would draw less than resistors that I am less familiar with & covered in some of your links.

I sent several ?s to the seller including if the flasher works by having a resistor in the circuit & how much draw that adds. Forgive if my terminology not exactly kosher but I THINK I sort of understand the issues here. Maybe not. Well ain't bought it yet.
          Thanks as always for advice & support,

DH

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post
            If anyone wants it for the cost of postage lemmee know.
            I would be interested in that unit, if you don't mind.

Seems that this thread is the only way to get hold of you, though, there is no option for PM or e-mail in your profile.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I would be interested in that unit, if you don't mind.

Seems that this thread is the only way to get hold of you, though, there is no option for PM or e-mail in your profile.

Of course my intent was to advise upon mystical receipt of such knowledge, to wit:

Seller advised me that unit DOES respond to electrical message down to 0.02 amp-should cover any LED based signal. He also stated it is for automotive NOT motorcycle use. I have asked him to clarify as I figure this is a seller not a rider who, like me, has used auto flashers on a bike. I tried to word my question to be sure I get the true insight into this issue. To be continued.

suzukizone@yahoo.com Man if you were a spy you could almost guess it on the first try I think.

Be safe

DH

Comment

Working...
              X