Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs650, coil wires, resistor question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs650, coil wires, resistor question?

ive replaced the spark plug wires on the 650, the wires came from Z1 with a regular rubber boots on them (the old boots are shot, that's why i didn't reuse them), the spark plugs are not resistor plugs (no R on NGK plug) should i get an NGK plug with a resistor in it? or can i run it just like it is?

anyone? help plz, im not to familiar with the ignition system on these bikes

Comment

Remove caps/boots from coil wires- wire to wire should have a resisitance of about 12k ohm. Put caps/boots back on, resistance should now be about 31k ohms between them. Just use NGK D8EA plug, it's cheap. So you attached new Z1 wires into your original coils?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You are not required to run resistor plugs or boots. It will be just fine without them.
        Hey, my post count is 5555. Hehe.

Comment

Tom, yes i did, fairly easy process :-)
          Koolaid, thank you:-) congrats

Comment

now head another question after thinking about this for a while. whats the deal with the resistor plugs and resistor spark plug caps? im trying to understand this system a little bit more...
            thanks guys :-)

Comment

Resistor plugs suppress radio interference from the spark plugs. If you don't have a radio in a fairing on the bike you should be OK>
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

However, if you do have a tube-type AM radio tuned to your favorite station broadcasting Rush Limbaugh, you will have issues.
                Not with the suppression, of course, but with the fact that you are listening to Rush...

Comment

I've also found having NPR on the radio leads to issues. Not with the bike but issues of another sort.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

hey, whats wrong with Rush? ive watched them live a few years ago when they were here in town
                    so other then radio interference it wont cause any problems, cool thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X