Low budget LED turn signal modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low budget LED turn signal modification

In the process of installing LED light panels into the over head lights in our motor home, it occurred that the same strategy would improve the GS850's turn signals.

Keeping Suzie a low budget project, using these LED units would be an option:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 48 SMD White LED Light Panel T10 Festoon Ba9s Dome 12V at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

These kits come with adapters for small bayonet bulbs, peanut bulbs and the large "glass fuse-like" dome light bulbs but not for the larger standard bayonet bulb. No problem as it is simple to crack the glass from the base of a bulb, clip the plug from one of the adapters and solder the wires to the bulb's exposed filament supports. The panel comes with double sided sticky foam on the back for mounting but some double sided tape would secure the panel into the turn signal lens. The brightness is quite striking!

It would be more interesting to install them into the front signals and to run these on at all times. Turns would be by switching off and on rather than on and off so that they would serve as both running and turn signals.

My 16 year old son has his learner's license and generally rides the GS850 while I accompany on my ST1100 Honda. He was following in today's rain on the Honda and the huge visibility advantage of that bike over most others was immediately evident. Two amber marker lights in the mirror pods outside of two HID headlights with two 55 Watt driving lights below the mirrors provide a front view nearly that of an automobile.

Time to place another call to motor vehicles to discuss options regarding lighting under the limitations of the collector plate.

Norm

Norm, Switching the LED's off then back on sounds like a great mod on the early models without running lights!
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It is easy enough to do. Simply connect switched power to the positive side of the LED panel and ground the other to the turn signal circuit. The LED will ground through the rear turn signal bulb until the signal circuit powers the bulb which will remove the difference in potential across the LED panel and so switch it off.

If the collector status will allow, I'll do the mod on Suzie.

Norm

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Norm, Switching the LED's off then back on sounds like a great mod on the early models without running lights!

Comment

Working...
      X