Removing Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Coils

Okay handy dandy mechanics, how does one go about removing coils from an 1100E? I'm sure Suzuki attached the coils BEFORE welding on the tabs for the tank mounts, as they are RIGHT IN THE WAY of getting a screwdriver in there! Yes, I said screwdriver! The mental midgets who put this thing together used Phil's Lips screw heads! To make matters worse, they're angled slightly towards the backbone of the frame!

Not only are the plug leads not meant to be replaced, Suzuki makes it difficult to remove the coils! All a plot to get us to buy new motorcycles! Well it won't work, Suzuki, not when there's groups like the GS Resources around to help keep these relics running forever!

Ahem, there's my rant. Anybody out there have any experience with this? I managed to get one of the rear bolts out with an impact driver, but I can't seem to get the other ones. I've put some penetrant on the remaining three and now I'm letting it fester.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

look underneath. I think there's an accessible nut.otherwise its (hand) inpact driver time.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

And those are JIS phillips screws, not SAE. (Japanese Industrial Standard), pretty much the only way to remove them is with an impact driver.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        And those are JIS phillips screws, not SAE. (Japanese Industrial Standard), pretty much the only way to remove them is with an impact driver.
        Reminds me I need to go to japan and pick-up some domestic (to japan) philips screwdrivers, my local hardware store doesn't sell japanese tools just the american and made in china crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
          Reminds me I need to go to japan and pick-up some domestic (to japan) philips screwdrivers, my local hardware store doesn't sell japanese tools just the american and made in china crap.
          That would be the best way. JIS are available on-line, but the most common size on our bikes (#3) are scarce as hen's teeth and twice as expensive.

Comment

I just did mine, and with an impact hammer on its own they were difficult to remove. The metal is only slightly harder than firm cheddar cheese.

I was able to get a 10mm socket onto the nut from behind, and it made it much easier.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
              look underneath. I think there's an accessible nut.otherwise its (hand) inpact driver time.
              No, it's not accessible. There is a shoulder on the tab on either side of the nut of it so you can't get a socket on it. To make matters worse, there's also a nut ON TOP of the tab below the spacer! Grrrr.
              Oh well, I guess I'll keep douching it with penetrant and messing with it. I got some longer bits for my impact driver, so we'll see where that takes me.

Thanks for your input, guys!
              Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Mine were the same way and it is possible to get a wrench in there to hold the nut while using the impact driver on the screw head. I was able to get them off by unscrewing it enough to let the bottom nut fall off. Of course, I changed those screws out for allen head socket cap screws.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  That would be the best way. JIS are available on-line, but the most common size on our bikes (#3) are scarce as hen's teeth and twice as expensive.
                  McMaster-Carr has the JIS Jap Industrial Standard screwdrivers.
                  The (3) piece set #1, #2, #3, is $28.92
                  Part Number #53325a61

You can also purchase them separately
                  #1 #53325a32 $8.12
                  #2 #53325a33 $8.98
                  #3 #53325a34 $13.00

They also sell a set of the small jewelers JIS screwdrivers also.

Comment

Upon closer inspection, (without angry female raccoons and better light), I was able to just put a 10mm socket on the bottom nut and loosen the nut. It was just that easy. Sometimes I really wonder how my thought proccesses work sometimes....
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                      Upon closer inspection, (without angry female raccoons and better light), I was able to just put a 10mm socket on the bottom nut and loosen the nut. It was just that easy. Sometimes I really wonder how my thought proccesses work sometimes....
                      Like all of us here, Jumping to Conclusions makes more work and frustration (I had the same problem, but I beat the screws to death with a hammer impct driver and they came out).

Comment

Working...
                      X