I am crying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am crying...

Finlay.. The spring is here.. And my dear GS1100GKE is ready for the first trip this year.

But first.. The first thing i did after buying the bike, was to have it serviced. I handed it in at our local bike shop (Zigomc.no).
    It was carried out normal service with oil change, filter and spark plugs.
    I thought I would get a long list of things that needed to be done with the bike.
    But they said it was in surprisingly good condition.

I picked up the bike at Zigo after the summer holidays. But then I notice a kind of rattle in front down at the engine. I can not find any loose parts ..
    I drive back to Zigo and ask them to help me. But they say only that the old bikes can have some noises here and there, and says there is nothing to worry about ..

Back to that first beautiful spring day.

I'm taking a 60 min trip. On my way home, the "sound" got worse .. Suddenly, the bike jumps from 4 th gear and straight into neutral. I kick it into 5th gear and the "sound" is all gone. I am 5 minutes from home, so I continued home.

A few days later I'll take me a ride again.

But do not start the bike. I can hear the starter whirring. I open the cover of the starting clutch. Where can I find this:

WTF?!

Well OK..

I need parts..

Can someone please help me?

Part no 12600-49850 STARTER CLUTCH SET.

Do i need a brand new one?

You dont need a brand new one...just one thats good. Gonna need to really check the 3 bolts as well and they ARE loctited in, so youll need to heat them tio get them out. If it were me, i would replace the bolts since its all open already. Do the guys at the shop possibly have a rotor puller you can presuade them to lend out for a day?? Check the bearings and the end of the crank too for damage.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You may have toasted the starter too !

Comment

Aye. That Was fast :-D

I hope they have the puller. If not. Where can I buy one?

And the 3 bolts. Where are them located? :-)

The starter seems too turn like normal.

Comment

You take out the center bolt of the rotor..an air or electric impact will save you many hrs of swearing and dehydration from sweating. Once the rotor is off its all self explanatory..its all bolted to the back of the rotor hub. Dont heat it up around the magnets for any reason. The glue will let loose then your way screwed again.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Is there a thread or document that will help him on this task? I looked on BassCliff's site and did not see anything.

Comment

I basically just wrote one...HA HA

Comment

Just to clarify a bit more: Remove the stator cover. Remove the stator. It can stay connected to the engine, btw. The rotor is the large cylinder the stator rotates inside of. It must be removed as chuck stated. The starter clutch is behind there and I believe it must also be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  I basically just wrote one...HA HA
                  Good timing. I looked into that job and did not like what I saw, but that's just me.

Comment

You dont need to remove the stator from the cover..just remove the starter cover and follow the wires back to the harness by the battery box and unplug them. Fish the wires down and to the outside of the bike. then remove the stator cover and it all comes off as 1 unit. Then remove the rotor and disassemble the starter clutch from the back.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-24-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Oops. The stator is bolted to the cover. I shouldn't be posting after the 14th beer. Wait, I don't drink beer. Hmm.

Comment

Oh boy.. I must say.. Tusen takk :-)

I have never had a so great response to any forum post anywhere in any way before :-D

Thats just super :-)

Now i just need the parts.. And then I'm on my way to enjoy the rest of this too short Northern Norwegian summer.. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X