Which indicator wire is positive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which indicator wire is positive?

Hi, I'm trying to find out which wire is positive on my indicators, my multi meter has been stood on and I'm waiting for the replacement now. While I'm asking, which is positive for the neutral light as well?, thanks in advance.

The one that's not black white.... From memory one side is green the other black.

As a translation for the yanks... He means turn signals
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Or maybe winkers.....?
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I think quite a few us 'yanks' have heard of a turn signal indicator before. A few of us know what semaphore indicators look like on old VW beetles as well.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Turn Signal Indicator. What is the sam hell is that? You mean the Blinky things?
          Semaphore? I think I got some pills for that once.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Or maybe winkers.....?
            Flashers - quite the different meaning in the UK

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Or maybe winkers.....?
              are you calling the yanks "winkers"?
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                The one that's not black white.... From memory one side is green the other black.

Nice one, cheers. I also think my blinkers have some mud on them, the dirty winkers.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilEnfield View Post
                  Hi, I'm trying to find out which wire is positive on my indicators, my multi meter has been stood on and I'm waiting for the replacement now. While I'm asking, which is positive for the neutral light as well?, thanks in advance.
                  On 850G and 1100G that I am familiar with (and I think same for all other GSes) the positive to the netural light (and gear indicators) is the Orange/Green wire from "Signal" fuse.

Org/Grn is also the positive to turn signal relay and control unit.

Org/Grn also powers the brake switches.

Org/Grn also powers the Oil Pressure light (pressure swtich completes the ground)

Org/Grn also powers the sidestand light (swiitch complets the ground) if 750 has that, I dont know.

Org/Grn also jumpers over to the green wire which powers the instrument lights (lights up the speedo and tach back light).

Last edited by Redman; 06-01-2012, 08:09 PM.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    .............A few of us know what semaphore indicators look like on old VW beetles as well.
                    I dont. Semaphore? Flags?
                    My Dad had a 50s or early 60s Karman Gia. Had a "main- reserve" gas lever on the floor. Also got air pressure to run the windshield squirter from the spare tire.

Last edited by Redman; 06-01-2012, 08:22 PM.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      On 850G and 1100G that I am familiar with (and I think same for all other GSes) the positive to the netural light (and gear indicators) is the Orange/Green wire from "Signal" fuse.
                      Org/Grn is also the positive to turn signal relay and control unit.
                      Org/Grn also powers the brake switches.
                      Org/Grn also powers the Oil Pressure light (pressure swtich completes the ground)
                      Org/Grn also powers the sidestand light (swiitch complets the ground) if 750 has that, I dont know.
                      Org/Grn also jumpers over to the green wire which powers the instrument lights (lights up the speedo and tach back light).
                      What he is saying here is that the Orange/Green wire powers a lot of things, What he is NOT saying is that all the gear indicator lights are powered by a common wire, then are switched to ground to turn them on.

The neutral light is grounded by the light blue wire that runs from the instrument area to the gear shift area under the left cover.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        What he is saying here is that the Orange/Green wire powers a lot of things, What he is NOT saying is that all the gear indicator lights are powered by a common wire, then are switched to ground to turn them on.

The neutral light is grounded by the light blue wire that runs from the instrument area to the gear shift area under the left cover.

Excellent, thanks. I am replacing the lights on my binnacle with prettier led ones, so it needs + through one side first, then - on the other. So I am taking it that I need orange and green on the positives for the blinker indicators, and light blue on the negative for the neutral indicator. Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilEnfield View Post
                          Excellent, thanks. I am replacing the lights on my binnacle with prettier led ones, so it needs + through one side first, then - on the other. So I am taking it that I need orange and green on the positives for the blinker indicators, and light blue on the negative for the neutral indicator. Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks for your help.
                          I gather that "binnacle" is what might also be called instument panel, or dashboard.
                          Ah, good to know what it is you are trying to do. You are working with the indicator lights on the instrument panel.
                          Oh, I was talking about all the things on the org/grn "signal" fuse circuit.

To anser your recent question About the netural indicator: yes.
                          Org/grn is the positive (on all the time the key is on).
                          Blu is the negitive (switched to ground, er,ah, earthed by the netural switch).

About the blinker indicator: ah...
                          The 850G and 1100G that I am familiar with there is one, and you seem to be speaking in plural terms. Let me find a 750 schematic.

Last edited by Redman; 06-03-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Found 750 schematic (Thanks again Cliff and who ever gave that to Cliff).
                            Ah, have seperate lights on instrument panel for right and left turn signals.

To answer your question About the blinker indicators: NO.
                            Do not run the hot-all-the-time org/grn to those.
                            Left: Black wire is the positive (when left is on). and the negitive would be the blk/wht (earth ground).
                            Right: Green wire is the positive. Blk/wht the negitive.

You didnt ask about the high beam.
                            You didnt ask about the oil pressure.
                            You did not ask about the gear positions.
                            And I do not see a sidestand circuit on that schematic.

Here
                            link to 750 schematic on BassCliff site
                            (not certain if for correct year)

You will need to understand that:
                            - some circuits have positve on all the time and the negative (earth, ground) is what is switched.
                            - others circuits have the negative (earth ground) all the time and the positve is what is switched.
                            Why would some be one way and other the other way? Just for the convience of how many wires and connections would be required to make it function as needed.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 06-03-2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X