'81 Gs1000 Starter solenoid wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 Gs1000 Starter solenoid wiring

Hey, im trying to place a new solenoid on my old 81 gs1000l and cant seem to get the wiring right. Sparks fly when i try to connect the battery and i almost melted a black wire with white tracer that passes from the solenoid to the battery.

Can someone go peek in the garage for a second and take a few pictures of the solenoid wiring on a 81 gs (or anything similar)

Thanks, you guy helped me alot with the bike lately!

What do you have disconnected?

If replacing the solenoid, you likely had only the battery negative, battery postive to solenoid and solenoid to starter cables disconnected, plus the two small bullet connectors on the winding, correct?

Is one of these the wire which is sparking? My 79 850's wiring diagram colors are different which seems unlikely.

The only wire connecting between solenoid and battery positive should be the heavy battery cable. The two small wires from the solenoid are generally ground and from the starter button circuit.

Any chance you have the battery connected in reverse? A wire pinched between some components?

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
      What do you have disconnected?

If replacing the solenoid, you likely had only the battery negative, battery postive to solenoid and solenoid to starter cables disconnected, plus the two small bullet connectors on the winding, correct?

Is one of these the wire which is sparking? My 79 850's wiring diagram colors are different which seems unlikely.

The only wire connecting between solenoid and battery positive should be the heavy battery cable. The two small wires from the solenoid are generally ground and from the starter button circuit.

Any chance you have the battery connected in reverse? A wire pinched between some components?
      I know i got the two heavy battery cables right.I also know that the yellow wire with green tracer that is attached to the solenoid is connected right.

All i have left is the two black wires with white tracers. One of them comes from the negative battery terminal And the other goes down and connects somewere under the engine. Any idea where they should go?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

a black wire with a tracer is ground and you need at least 1 going to your solenoid to make it work if you have 4 connections on your solenoid

Comment

Oh now i get it! that is the groud that is attached by one of the two screws that holds the solenoid to the battery plate ,right?

Comment

Originally posted by JoMagnum View Post
            IAll i have left is the two black wires with white tracers. One of them comes from the negative battery terminal And the other goes down and connects somewere under the engine. Any idea where they should go?
            Both of those wires should go under the screw that holds the solenoid to the plate on the side of the battery box.

Originally posted by JoMagnum View Post
            Oh now i get it! that is the groud that is attached by one of the two screws that holds the solenoid to the battery plate ,right?
            Yep, that's it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Both of those wires should go under the screw that holds the solenoid to the plate on the side of the battery box.

Yep, that's it.

Thanks, I just got her running today!Great to hear that sound again!

Comment

Working...
              X