Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to test/repair/replace the starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here it is out of the bike:

It's interesting that I didn't need to hammer it out because it came out extremely easy. And you guys are right, the maintainer wouldn't provide the charge as it didn't see anything.

So I connected the bike battery and it spun. I don't know if there are degrees of "spunness" but I will still take it apart and see how things are inside.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK, so you say it spun, was this by just attaching leads from the battery to the starter, or did you hook it up as it is in the bike and you hit the starter button ?

It should come out easy, it's really only held by the 2 back bolts, the seal in the front is only there to stop the oil from spurting out.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        ..............but I will still take it apart and see how things are inside.

CB,

I think you are going to find like this:

Brushes worn down to where no tension left in the springs. And commutator covered with brush materail burnt in.

And without taking it a apart you can see if it is a Mitsuba or a Denso. Need to know that to get proper brush kit.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Brush Holder - DensoType:NewReplacesensoStockers #:ND-LRetail Price: $37.45Your Price: $24.95

Brush Holder - MitsubaType:NewReplaces:MitsubaStockers #:SM-8Retail Price: $37.45Your Price: $24.95
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thanks folks. I came inside to post that picture, fixed dinner, and got comfortable on here so I haven't torn it apart yet. I can say it's a Nippon Denso though.

Even if I don't have to replace anything inside, is there any basic things that MUST be replaced just because I'm opening it up? I thought I saw an o-ring on the end of the rod; should I replace that anyway?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

So I ran back outside to take this thing apart and much easier than I thought. I'm not sure if I need to remove additional items for checking things but can (circlip pliers are busted so I can't pull that off).

Here are some pictures as well as a short video of what I saw.

End Cap

And the video

I'm assuming I need new brushes; anything else obvious to anyone?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

clean this up with some emery cloth

clean up the rest, and put it back together

brushes seem to be still useable, in my opinion, unless that one that is half of the other is because it's further in, but it seems to be all in good order

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
                  I'd pull the starter apart before I would be ordering parts. Sometimes it can be something as simple as oily brushes and a dirty commutator. The next step could be brushes, maybe bushings, but the big issue you need to look for is if the magnets have some loose. Those can be fixed too, just look for the thread on here.
                  Looks like oily brushes and dirty commutator. Years of oil vapor taking it's toll. Use electrical cleaner on all the parts, lightly polish the commutator, and the lack of deep grooving is telling me the brushes may not be worn. Re-clean the commutator after polishing it with 360-400 grit. If you have access to the service manual it should give a limit to the brushes length so you can check them.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
                    Looks like oily brushes and dirty commutator. Years of oil vapor taking it's toll. Use electrical cleaner on all the parts, lightly polish the commutator, and the lack of deep grooving is telling me the brushes may not be worn. Re-clean the commutator after polishing it with 360-400 grit. If you have access to the service manual it should give a limit to the brushes length so you can check them.
                    It says the brush length should be a limit of 6mm and the commutator undercut is 0.2mm. I think I understand the brush length is the total length of the piece that's sticking out there. But what does the commutator undercut mean?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Commutator undercut is the depth of the cut between two commutator (copper) bars. If you were to turn down the commutator until the insulator and the copper bars were of the same height, you would then need to 'under cut' the mica until it's again below the height of the copper segments.

Under cutting can be done at home by taking a hack saw blade and grinding away the sides of the teeth until the blade will fit between two commutator bars, cutting only the insulator.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

eh...Not to sound like the harbinger of death or anything, but could you bumpstart the bike? Or did you try to turn the motor over by hand?

Im not an electrical whiz by ANY stretch of the imagination, but if it works (spins) outside of the engine, why didnt it spin INSIDE of the engine. My limited understanding of electrical motors (and PLEASE feel free to enlighten me if im completely wrong, which is likely the case) is that they provide nearly instant torque, meaning they dont have to "spin up" to get the most out of em. My point is, if that is true, why would it spin outside, and not inside the motor? If its getting the power it needs outside, would it not be getting it inside as well??? Or am I way way way needing a lesson (and please do teach me...)

Comment

Josh,
                          I did not bump start it but I successfully turned the motor last night by hand after seeing the starter turned on its own. I am probably going to remove the stator cover tonight to see if something there is busted. There's just a little voice that is telling me something is wrong someplace still.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Josh,
                            I did not bump start it but I successfully turned the motor last night by hand after seeing the starter turned on its own. I am probably going to remove the stator cover tonight to see if something there is busted. There's just a little voice that is telling me something is wrong someplace still.
                            Yeah. your starter motor looked OK to me and if it spun up quick out of bike, I think there's something else happenning.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              My limited understanding of electrical motors (and PLEASE feel free to enlighten me if im completely wrong, which is likely the case) is that they provide nearly instant torque, meaning they dont have to "spin up" to get the most out of em. ... Or am I way way way needing a lesson (and please do teach me...)
                              You are (mostly) correct, sir.

Most electric motors do provide maximum torque at zero rpm.
                              However, in the case of a "slightly less-than-perfect" motor, that maximum torque will be considerably less than it should be.
                              That would allow it to spin with no load on it, but, when asked to turrn the crank, it falls flat on its proverbial face.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That starter motor looks good inside, particularly the commutator - hardly any wear. One of the brushes doesn't stick out as far as the other. What's up with that? Could it be binding and stuck in the holder or just worn? If the brushes are not overly worn I'd throw that bad boy back together, after cleaning with contact cleaner that is. Anyone know if the bushing needs to be lubed, and if so with what? Common grease?
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X