Relocate Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocate Rectifier/Regulator

I know all about the problems with the design of the the original charging system on early GS models. I have a 1981 GS650G, and I've replaced the stator and the rectifier/regulator (an aftermarket that uses all three phases). Here is my problem: I live in Phoenix, and right now it averages between 105 and 110 degrees every day. You probably guessed the regulator gets to hot and goes into thermal protect. Let the bike cool down and everything is fine again. Has anybody out there ever re-located the rectifier/regulator to a different location, or added a small cooling fan, or both. How did you do it and what was the result?

Also, anybody have an opinion? Is it worth trying? I was thinking of re-locating the unit to the front of the bike. I was thinking of making a mounting plate and using the horn mount bolt. so the unit would be up front where it could get lots of air...maybe add another heat sink too?
    Whaddaya think?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. saxjeffw,

If you solder in some extra wire you can mount the r/r unit to the front of the frame under the steering head, above the header. That will get it out front in the air. I've also seen members use CPU fans to help keep the units cool.

Don't forget.... New Members, CLICK HERE!!

(Saves me some typing, cutting, and pasting.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Unless you can find a fan mounting option to keep air flow on the regulator, I seems to me that you would benefit from a series type regulator that shuts itself off when no charging is required instead of shunting through the stator like yours, running continuously. They run in the $175.00 range. Our weather is not quite as hot as yours, but sitting in traffic with heat wash from cars raising the temp. around you significantly, it's probably not much different. The Compufire system in my signature has worked very well.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If you got a R/R that goes into "thermal protect", I'd replace it with a well used Shindengen. The stock location gets good airflow and would be easy to rig up muffin fan. I'm presently using the R/R in another location- under gas tank rear support. After good run and letting bike sit, this spot gets hot from rising engine heat, but it doesn't effect R/R output.
        If you stick it out front, do better than guy in attached pic
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the help!

I think I may just do a temporary rig up out front and drive it around, just to see what happens, if that doesn't work. I'll go from there. The CPU fan and/or the Shindengen sound good if out front doesn't work well, or I can't figure out how to make it cosmetically acceptable as you mentioned. I'll be working on it this weekend and let you know how it worked.
          Thanks everybody!

Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

I installed an 06-07 honda version. It's bigger with more fins for heat. It does not get as hot as the stock one, runs much cooler thus so far. Kept it on the stock location on a gs1100e

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              Unless you can find a fan mounting option to keep air flow on the regulator, I seems to me that you would benefit from a series type regulator that shuts itself off when no charging is required instead of shunting through the stator like yours, running continuously. They run in the $175.00 range. Our weather is not quite as hot as yours, but sitting in traffic with heat wash from cars raising the temp. around you significantly, it's probably not much different. The Compufire system in my signature has worked very well.
              yes the problem would likely just go a way

Comment

Should be fine if it can get a little airflow. Even under the sidecovers, there's a lot of air rushing through there.

I've seen them mounted on the forks, below the headlight.

Comment

Problem Resolved

So, I mounted the regulator up front using one on the horn mount holes, and it solved the problem. Doesn't look too bad either. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X