C.O.P =Coil On Plug GS twin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C.O.P =Coil On Plug GS twin?

A few weeks ago.I was searching for some info on electrical parts for the GS.I saw a pic of a coil on plug set up on a GS twin.It was either a 400 or 450.Is the owner of the bike on here?I have tried finding the pic again but no dice.Does anyone know how it would be done?Any benefit other than eliminating a point of failure?I have ideas but it really isn't practical.More curious as to how it all works without breaking plugs off.

There are lots of examples of coil over plug in the automotive world.
    I know the 2000 Toyota Corolla uses this system, and, since its plugs are recessed the plug connection should be long enough.
    Corolla coil over plug
    It just lifts straight up, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      There are lots of examples of coil over plug in the automotive world.
      I know the 2000 Toyota Corolla uses this system, and, since its plugs are recessed the plug connection should be long enough.
      Corolla coil over plug
      It just lifts straight up, btw.

I understand how coil on plug works.On a GS twin the plugs are angled and set into the head.I can't find the pic I saw.I dismissed it as I was looking for other info.A C.O.P. set up on a motorcycle would need a bracket to support the coil to keep from snapping the end of the plug off.Auto engines usually have the plug and plug connector set in to the head or valve cover so the coil rests on the top.

This is a GS500E engine.The GS400/425/450 is similar.See how the plugs are angled.It would need the coil supported some how.

Comment

I agree. You would need a picture of what you saw. I still suspect he used an automotive coil over plug.

Comment

I been searching since my last post so I been at it awhile.I can't remember what search terms I used or I'm missing the link that had the pic.

Comment

I was going to try that on a honda 500/4 chopper I had. just to be cool ya know? but most automotive COP coil's resistance is .5 ohms or less..
            I also attempted to find out what the maximum amperage that a dyna-S or similar electronic ignition could handle and figured out that the current draw of such a coil would be too much for the driver to handle. and POINTS? forget it. my last thought was , on the 4 cylinder.. to put 1-4 and 2-3 pairs somehow in series to lower the overall current.. but never got around to trying it out.

maybe there are other, newer COP coils that have a bit higher resistance. like in the 3-5 ohm range..??? that would work!!

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
              I was going to try that on a honda 500/4 chopper I had. just to be cool ya know? but most automotive COP coil's resistance is .5 ohms or less..
              I also attempted to find out what the maximum amperage that a dyna-S or similar electronic ignition could handle and figured out that the current draw of such a coil would be too much for the driver to handle. and POINTS? forget it. my last thought was , on the 4 cylinder.. to put 1-4 and 2-3 pairs somehow in series to lower the overall current.. but never got around to trying it out.

maybe there are other, newer COP coils that have a bit higher resistance. like in the 3-5 ohm range..??? that would work!!

All of my bikes are GS500E,so I don't think resistance would be as big an issue.I'm not really considering doing this.After reading a lot of coil and ignition issues here,it sparked my memory of the pic I saw.Still can't find the dang thing.I was hoping the bike owner was a member here and saw this.I'd really like more info on that particular set up.Mainly if there is and performance gain as far as mpg or smoother running.I've never had ignition issues with any of my GS500,knock on wood.I am going to do the relay mod to be sure that I am getting as much power as possible to my coils.

Comment

Originally posted by ben2go View Post
                All of my bikes are GS500E,so I don't think resistance would be as big an issue.I'm not really considering doing this.After reading a lot of coil and ignition issues here,it sparked my memory of the pic I saw.Still can't find the dang thing.I was hoping the bike owner was a member here and saw this.I'd really like more info on that particular set up.Mainly if there is and performance gain as far as mpg or smoother running.I've never had ignition issues with any of my GS500,knock on wood.I am going to do the relay mod to be sure that I am getting as much power as possible to my coils.
                What I'm trying to say is, if you substitute a .5 ohm coil where a 5 (five) ohm coil WAS.. the new coil will draw WAY TOO MUCH current compared to the original. with the 5 ohm coil at 12 volts, the amperage or current is 2.4 AMPS.
                ok with the .5 ohm coil at 12 volts the current will be 24 AMPS and that will result in fuse blowing, harness melting and other disasters including the fact that most stock GS charging systems only proved 20 or so AMPS TOTAL.. and we've only figured for ONE coil not two...

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                  What I'm trying to say is, if you substitute a .5 ohm coil where a 5 (five) ohm coil WAS.. the new coil will draw WAY TOO MUCH current compared to the original. with the 5 ohm coil at 12 volts, the amperage or current is 2.4 AMPS.
                  ok with the .5 ohm coil at 12 volts the current will be 24 AMPS and that will result in fuse blowing, harness melting and other disasters including the fact that most stock GS charging systems only proved 20 or so AMPS TOTAL.. and we've only figured for ONE coil not two...

Oh ok.I get what you're saying now.

Comment

I'd found some kind of them that had 2 ohms or so and was gonna try to rig the primaries in series so I could use them . that would be 4 ohms at 12 volts and that would be cool but i was too cheep to buy them hahaha

Comment

My coils are over top my plugs too,i think they do it because electricity flows stronger downhill,hehe

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
                        My coils are over top my plugs too,i think they do it because electricity flows stronger downhill,hehe
                        That's funny right there,I don't care who you are.Larry the cable guy quote.

Comment

I wondered at one point about using 4 coils off an Ls1, but you'd still have plug wires and such. I have a pile of them off an engine in my garage, wonder what resistance they are. Probably not worth the headache on a points bike, Haha, other things to focus on first!

Comment

What ever you use, you will clearly have to fabricate some type of a mounting bracket.
                            I thought of LS-1s also, coming from the f-body world.

Comment

Working...
                            X