Electical short 1984 gs1100gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electical short 1984 gs1100gk

1984 Gs1100gk Not sure i am going to be able to discribe completely but here goes/ I put a radio on conneted to hot and ground in faring riding down road radio its self went up in smoke and blew main fuse. the bike its self did not quit running gut would only go at a idle speed and no increase in rpm when turning throttle bad miss. got stopped and turned bike off and of course eveything was dead replaced fuse and made rest trip home( Radio unhooked) a week later as i was riding went to turn cornor and bike shut off even with key off was blowing the main fuse. got it home took fuse box off didn't see anything didn't show any direct shorts. back on and starts runs great then it blows fuse and back to the no increase in rpm when turning throttle has thad sound of missing almost like it is running on 2 cyclenders any advice on where to start checking ie coils ect thanks and sorry for being long winded

In stock setup, if the main fuse blows while riding, charging system no longer "sees" battery- R/R output voltage would be unstable, ignitor would likely be unhappy and its on/off pulses would make system voltage more unstable.
    Sounds like your fairing wiring is faulty-make sure the positive feed isn't grounding out somewhere; add a seperate fuse for fairing accessories.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks a lot this gives me a good starting point this is why i love this site

Comment

Originally posted by poker ran View Post
        .....even with key off was blowing the main fuse. ......
        Symptom of bad R/R. The R/R is still connected even if the key is off. Try disconnecting the R/R and see if still blows fuse. If it doesnt then you know problem is/was the R/R.

Last edited by Redman; 09-01-2012, 08:52 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
        X