Stator Failed - Found something interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Failed - Found something interesting

Last night I was out on a cruise with the boys.. We stopped for a coffee and when I went to fire up the 1100 the starter barely turned 2 revolutions and it quit.. I bum started it and went home.. Today I did some troubleshooting.. I did a resistance check across the 3 wires of the stator and one lead was a complete short, the meter beeped in the continuity check.. OK I knew it was cooked..

When I pulled off the stator cover it looked good, which doesn't always mean anything.. But when I pulled off the started cover to pull out the stator wires I found a plastic plug connector that was melted..

It must have slowly melted over time and last night was the night when it shorted out.. After I cut the melted plug off I did another resistance check across the stator and got 1.9 - 2.0ohms..

Here's the pic of the plug.. IS this factory or did somebody put this in?

ALso does the stator in this pic look factory?

Tomorrrow I'll cut the back parts of the wire off, solder them PROPERLY together to eliminate the plug.. Put it back together and see what happens..

I have never seen a plug like that on a stator, eliminate it completely and see what you got.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

That stator is toast. I would try to get it working while you new one is on the way, but replace it as soon as possible. It should have been a very light caramel colour.

Comment

Some are blue, some are carmel colored, this one is red. It doesn't look all burned up. If it works, it works.

Connectors in there are a bad idea, just hard wire it so getting hot can't short it out.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When wires get hot they lose some of their ability to carry current. Would also look into rewiring. Will probably be ok but may help the bike last another 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Some are blue, some are carmel colored, this one is red. It doesn't look all burned up. If it works, it works.

Connectors in there are a bad idea, just hard wire it so getting hot can't short it out.
            I am afraid I cannot agree about the color. I have seen caramel, blue, green yellow and even clear. That one looks like a caramel that has gotten hot.
            But it is not my bike, so best of luck and I hope I am incorrect.

Comment

well the first thing that came to my mind is that the plug the PO installed had a bad connection on one of the terminals.. Connections with bad conductivity get hot trying to supply 70volts so the plug started to melt causing the wires to short out against each other.. That is why when I tested each stator lead one came up shorted. After I cut the plug off and separated the wires the stator polls tested fine.. I think it was 1.9 - 2ohms each lead.. That seems good..

Tomorrow morning i'm going to solder direct and heat shrink each connection, that's the only way I do wiring.. I never use connectors.. Hopefully it will work... If not then I guess i'll be on ebay ordering a new one.

Comment

If you have some hi-temp 18 gauge wire, that is the best to use.

Comment

Solder is not a good idea in there. When it gets hot and melts, blobs of solder will be loose in your engine. Who knows where they may end up, lodged in some oil passage somewhere, or in the shifter mechanism perhaps. Better to use quality crimp connectors that won't melt. Not the cheesy Walmart connectors with the plastic insulators, get the good ones. An aircraft supply house will have very good quality crimp connectors. Solder and shrink is fine outside the engine case.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Solder is not a good idea in there. When it gets hot and melts, blobs of solder will be loose in your engine. Who knows where they may end up, lodged in some oil passage somewhere, or in the shifter mechanism perhaps. Better to use quality crimp connectors that won't melt. Not the cheesy Walmart connectors with the plastic insulators, get the good ones. An aircraft supply house will have very good quality crimp connectors. Solder and shrink is fine outside the engine case.
                    Well the solder connections will be in the starter cavity, right next to the starter actually.. I didn't think solder could melt from the engine.. My solder connections are clean with never any blobs lol I've been working on bikes/cars my whole life.. but I will try and find good crimp connectors, I probably already have good quality automotive high current crimp connectors.. I'll use those instead of solder.

Comment

I don't know if it is a trick of the light in the picture of the stator, but there are two poles that don't look good down at the bottom, one below the screw, and the other three poles to the left of the screw. If it has degraded the varnish insulation down at the end of those two poles, you can bet inside the windings there is lurking damage that you can't see. Mine was similar, and died a year after I corrected the overcharging R/R with a CompuFire. I would consider my labor on changing the stator worth the price of a new one. Just a thought. The stators on both my bike and my parts bike had burnt connections from overcharging R/R's and damaged stators even though the stators still worked at the time.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 09-01-2012, 07:55 AM.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks for chipping in, OldVet66. evh, we are not trying to give you a hard time, just a warning. I have seen a number of burned stators, in fact, a couple of years ago I bought a bunch from GS members to do some experiments with. Yours is on the way out. If you want to maximize the life of your stator, I suggest you go ahead and purchase a new one and keep it with you at all times, along with a stator cover gasket. That way when it strands you on the side of the road you can change it out, push start the bike and be on your way. I have been on numerous GS rides and rallies where we have done just that. If you prefer just to keep going and avoid the hassles of mending those wires, go ahead and replace it now. Your call, and best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          Thanks for chipping in, OldVet66. evh, we are not trying to give you a hard time, just a warning. I have seen a number of burned stators, in fact, a couple of years ago I bought a bunch from GS members to do some experiments with. Yours is on the way out. If you want to maximize the life of your stator, I suggest you go ahead and purchase a new one and keep it with you at all times, along with a stator cover gasket. That way when it strands you on the side of the road you can change it out, push start the bike and be on your way. I have been on numerous GS rides and rallies where we have done just that. If you prefer just to keep going and avoid the hassles of mending those wires, go ahead and replace it now. Your call, and best of luck.

I don't think you guys are giving me a hard time at all, I appreciate all the comments.. I think this forum is great for this exact reason.
                          The stator does look darker in the photo I posted, mainly due to lighting at the time.. I will take another photo with natural outside light...
                          I don't doubt at all that the stator took a beating when the plug shorted. I just thought that if the stator checks out fine with a resistance check then there's a chance it will work for now.. I will be buying a new one, that's a given..

I'm heading out there very soon to start on it.. I'll see what happens..

Comment

If you do put it back in service, be sure to grease (lightly) both sides of the gasket so it won't stick to the cases. It makes for a lot less work later.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                              If you do put it back in service, be sure to grease (lightly) both sides of the gasket so it won't stick to the cases. It makes for a lot less work later.
                              roger that

Comment

Working...
                              X