Lost Key! Ignition Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Key! Ignition Replacement?

Hi all, I seem to have lost my key for my 1978 Suzuki GS550. Sad face, I know.

I've browsed the other threads here, and most of them seem to agree that just getting a locksmith to re-key is pretty simple. However, I don't have the key codes because I've removed the seat lock and the gas cap didn't come with the bike when I bought it, and I can't find it on the ignition switch. The only locksmith in the area that will cut bike keys says it'll cost between 90-200$ to cut a new key depending on how difficult it is for him to get the code from Suzuki based on my VIN.

However, I found an EMGO replacement switch for 20$ on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-40-71010-.../dp/B000GU20J8).
    Does anyone know anything about these switches? Is this a decent replacement for the OEM switch?

Code based on VIN?
    Hmm

I say your best option is to remove the ignition lock and look on the underside.
    I think the key code is stamped on there.

Barring that a whole new ignition lock should be less than a hundred and for that you have a fresh lock mechanism and two keys to lose.

Comment

You should be able to find the key code on the ignition switch...
      It is right on the front of the 1100E ignition:

The EMGO replacement is junk and will fall apart on you...
      Ask this guy who lost his keys when his EMGO ignition fell apart...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Ill try looking for that tomorrow once I'm back home. A brand new oem ignition is 200$ from what I've found online.

Comment

My hesitation comes from the fact that both the locksmith and a new part claim ~200$ to get a key, while the Emgo is 1/10th of that. I understand you get what you pay for, but if not the emgo do I have any other options? 200$ is a bit hefty for me right now.

Comment

The OEM part has sat on a shelf for 35 yrs and there is a hel of an overhead for that.

The OEM parts I have seen are no stellar piece of engineering. I say go for the emgo as its the cheapest route and its a mere 20 bucks

Comment

Take the tumblers out of your ignition, then any key or screwdriver will fit.
              Or just replace the whole works with a toggle switch.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bought a used OEM set off ebay for my bike.
                Ignition, gas cap and helmet lock with keys.
                Cost me $12.99 + S&H

I will second that EMGO is going to be more headache than it's worth.

Tank

Comment

Have a look here: http://myworld.ebay.com/ajjohnson6

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    That looks amazing! However, it doesn't say that it will fit a GS, just the TS or GT models...

Comment

locksmith

$90 to $200 for a KEY??? You are talking to the wrong locksmith. This guy is a thief. More to the point, he just doesn't want your business.

Key codes are not essential to the process.

I have taken a gas tank to a descent locksmith that knew old school methods. He put a key blank in a vice-grip and filed a bit of the edge down. Putting the key into the lock and twisting slightly, he was able to mark the key blank with tiny scratches that showed him where to cut. Using a file and repeating the process in a few minutes I had a hand-cut, brand new key that worked! That only cost me about $25.00.

Seriously, ask around, find another locksmith. Someone can do a heck of a lot better than $90-$200.

Originally posted by ilyena View Post
                      Hi all, I seem to have lost my key for my 1978 Suzuki GS550. Sad face, I know.

I've browsed the other threads here, and most of them seem to agree that just getting a locksmith to re-key is pretty simple. However, I don't have the key codes because I've removed the seat lock and the gas cap didn't come with the bike when I bought it, and I can't find it on the ignition switch. The only locksmith in the area that will cut bike keys says it'll cost between 90-200$ to cut a new key depending on how difficult it is for him to get the code from Suzuki based on my VIN.

However, I found an EMGO replacement switch for 20$ on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-40-71010-.../dp/B000GU20J8).
                      Does anyone know anything about these switches? Is this a decent replacement for the OEM switch?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                        $90 to $200 for a KEY??? You are talking to the wrong locksmith. This guy is a thief. More to the point, he just doesn't want your business.

Key codes are not essential to the process.

I have taken a gas tank to a descent locksmith that knew old school methods. He put a key blank in a vice-grip and filed a bit of the edge down. Putting the key into the lock and twisting slightly, he was able to mark the key blank with tiny scratches that showed him where to cut. Using a file and repeating the process in a few minutes I had a hand-cut, brand new key that worked! That only cost me about $25.00.

Seriously, ask around, find another locksmith. Someone can do a heck of a lot better than $90-$200.
                        I second this, we have a locksmith that is local and been doing locksmithing for years and I have had him do keys for me . The most I ever paid was like $25.
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I've literally called about 12 in the area, told them I had the code, and they've all told me 75-125 with the code, and more if no code or the code is "invalid" or that they don't cut bike keys. Not sure if its because of the city I'm in?
                          Pretty sure I found the code though, does a 6 digit number sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by ilyena View Post
                            Not sure if its because of the city I'm in?
                            Without knowing which region of the world you are in it's hard to say. You can impress a key yourself, but it might take quite a few key blanks to get it right. Key blanks are cheap at Ace hardware, so Google how to do it and for it.

The code will be three digits.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Take the tumblers out of your ignition, then any key or screwdriver will fit.
                              My key was a dime.

Comment

Working...
                              X