Right Switch Indicator Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Switch Indicator Fix

So I started this thread about an Engine Run a couple of days ago which led me to this functional check problem. My left turn signal--ops check good. The right turn signal--ops check bad. Begin eval on bad right signal fail.

Beginning part of the job.

First, the bolt looked like a 13mm should do the trick but instead, it required a 1/2 in wrench.

First look at the bracket after removing the metal spacer.

Sideview of the slightly bent bracket.

That's a rusty spacer. Everything else looks good.

14mm wrench to remove the inner bolt. Not much rust in this area.

Removed the lens cover and the bulb/bucket looks clean.

That's one rusty spacer.

Cleaning the spacer with some Coca Cola.

Used a flathead screwdriver to remove rust from another contact point.

After scraping the built up rust, I re-assembled the light and reconnected the bracket and all is well with my "T".

I went for a ride in 32F weather. Must be crazy because during my ride of 38 miles, my legs shivered uncontrollably. I had boots, long johns, two pair of socks, and 4 layers including my riding jacket and River Road winter gloves. Also had my sage green beanie cap under my full-face helmet.

As soon as I arrived at home, it was a tall cup of hot tea for this guy. I'll think twice the next time I wanna ride in the cold.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

I finally warmed up after my second cup of tea.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

So, that fixed your t/signal. Good.

But the rusty spacer and the paint on the bracket should not matter, because the ground for the light is thru the ground wire (blk/wht) connection, since all the tail light socket (and threaded tube) is insulated from the bracket by that rubber.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      ........... I had boots, long johns, two pair of socks, and 4 layers including my riding jacket and River Road winter gloves. ...........

Ed
      That all is good insulative stuff. But also need something as a windblock, and also needs to seal out any air infiltration.
      Chaps are fairly good for blocking wind from knees and shins,
      but riding pants better for sealing out air infiltration.

Last edited by Redman; 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You're right About That

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        So, that fixed your t/signal. Good.

That all is good insulative stuff. But also need something as a windblock, and also needs to seal out any air infiltration.

The first time I went for a short ride on a cold day, I got a nose bleed. Nothing major just a quick wipe down and I was GTG.

Because I don't have the windshield, the air comes right up my chest and into the bottom of my helmet.

I found that the closer my chest is to the tank, the less air is trapped and my face shield doesn't fog up as much.

Thanks for your feedback Redman.

Ed
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Because I don't have the windshield, the air comes right up my chest and into the bottom of my helmet......
          Ed, I have a big kerchief folded over into triangle. Put over mouth and chin, tie tails behind head/neck, also covers front of neck. Held in place by helmet chin strap. Tuck extra into jacket collar. For more insulative value, I have sewn in a piece of flannel also.

Congrats on repair of t/signal

Intersteing that you are enjoying the bike enough to go out in the cold.

Dave

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the Guidance

Ed, I have a big kerchief folded over into triangle. Put over mouth and chin, tie tails behind head/neck, also covers front of neck. Held in place by helmet chin strap. Tuck extra into jacket collar. For more insulative value, I have sewn in a piece of flannel also.

Congrats on repair of t/signal

Intersteing that you are enjoying the bike enough to go out in the cold.

Dave

I love my bike and I'm looking forward to more riding. I'm so determined to learn more and more about my "T" that it brings me lots of joy. I also pray before I go out for a safe ride.

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Okay, I had another moment where the turn signal didn't work. I removed the seat and started playing with some wires...looks like one of these babies needs to have the connectors replaced. Why? Because the contact points are not properly connecting, Duh!

Anyway, I did this in my spare time because I'm also preparing dinner for the Super Bowl game that's about to take place. No wings today...I'm all about the Spanish food: Fajitas, rice and beans!!! A staple in our house in the City of Angels.

Later...

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Did another Engine Run today...because I couldn't get the right turn signal to work, AGAIN. Anyway, here she is with "L" seat, side covers off and running.

I know a "petcock" and "CAM Tensioner" scheduled maintenance is in my future.

I'm encouraging you to reply, if you like...

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I re-arranged the Battery Tender wire...looks a little better in here now!

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

....................because I couldn't get the right turn signal to work, AGAIN.
                    Ed

Right turn signal not work.
                    Meaning the right rear doesnt come on at all? Does the right front?
                    or
                    Meaning the right doesnt blink? Do both front and rear come on?

(My super bowl pot of chilie is about ready.)

Comment

When looking at back of bike indicator droop?
                      If it does I straightened my bracket with a pair of very large channel locks, anything big you can get on it while still attached to the bike can be used to pull it back out to shape, including adjustable wrench.
                      You may get lucky and find someone on here that has one laying around that they are willing to part with also.

Now for your light, In post one picture # 4 down the wire with connector that goes over post , clean all the corrosion off the connector and the parts going over it. Washer/nut.
                      Would be a good idea to take the bulb holder out of the other end, (is the screw loose?) if it is that's your problem. If not under that screw you will see the metal bracket that serves the same purpose as the round connector on the other end.(ground connection to ground circuit.
                      Make sure that is clean of any corrosion and mating surface on light holder is clean.
                      Examine light holder Is it clean on inside of any corrosion and have a nice shape?

Examine the bulb for a loose filament and any corrosion on the touch points.

And I think Redman is asking that to narrow down the possibilities of what is wrong as the front should have some indicators of what is wrong with the back. (constant light when turned on meaning the problem is in the back, and no light meaning the problem could be anywhere in the circuit?)

Comment

Let Me See...

Right turn signal not work.

Meaning the right rear doesnt come on at all? Does the right front?
                        Same as before. Front signal came on/stayed on. Rear signal did not come on at all.

or Meaning the right doesnt blink? Do both front and rear come on?
                        Neither light blinks...only the front comes on and stays on.

(My super bowl pot of chilie is about ready.)
                        My Fajitas were GREAT. Also had a crockpot of meatballs...BBQ sauce mixed w/Welch's grape jelly--too sweet for my taste. (I had to tell my buddy it was a tad sweet)

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
                        When looking at back of bike indicator droop?
                        If it does I straightened my bracket with a pair of very large channel locks, anything big you can get on it while still attached to the bike can be used to pull it back out to shape, including adjustable wrench.
                        You may get lucky and find someone on here that has one laying around that they are willing to part with also.
                        The stem looks like it is drooping but that's because the bracket is a bit bent. I am tightening the stem and light assembly but I don't wanna tighten it so much I break it. Once I straighten out the bracket, I'm hoping it doesn't droop.

Now for your light, In post one picture # 4 down the wire with connector that goes over post , clean all the corrosion off the connector and the parts going over it. Washer/nut.
                        Would be a good idea to take the bulb holder out of the other end, (is the screw loose?) if it is that's your problem. If not under that screw you will see the metal bracket that serves the same purpose as the round connector on the other end.(ground connection to ground circuit.
                        Make sure that is clean of any corrosion and mating surface on light holder is clean.
                        Examine light holder Is it clean on inside of any corrosion and have a nice shape?

Examine the bulb for a loose filament and any corrosion on the touch points.
                        I'll have a look. Maybe I'll skip the gym one day this week and sort it out. We'll see. It's gonna be cold weather anyway.

And I think Redman is asking that to narrow down the possibilities of what is wrong as the front should have some indicators of what is wrong with the back. (constant light when turned on meaning the problem is in the back, and no light meaning the problem could be anywhere in the circuit?)
                        Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm enjoying taking apart the simple things. It will give me confidence when it comes to the bigger jobs...plus, I am getting to know the quirks of my bike.

Ed

EDIT: Reviewed 8Feb14
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-08-2014, 09:19 PM.
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                        X