No announcement yet.

Multi Meter readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an ebay buy (GN250) thats been sat for 15years, I've ultrasonic cleaned the carb a couple of times, and followed basscliffs methodology, I fited a carb kit yesterday, no new diaphram (slide boot in the US?) but it seems to me to be supple and in good order , so I'd pulled the coil and RR off to check and clean while waiting for the kit (Keyster brand), done the Compression (which ain't great). Tomorrow I'm going check the valves clearances and fit the carb and electrics back. Then if its still running bad I'll open another thread in "Other Bikes" with a status report, and go from there.

Then once we fixed this we can start to look at the GS...then the fun starts all over again

Now using my newly gained knowledge I'm going to test the resistance in the RR.....so dont rush off anywhere

Thanks Everyone!!

Comment

So based on what i now know....is it safe to say this regulator needs replacing?

setting for a x1 ohm readking, test by touching pos and neg together for a 0.00 reading on this setting...then returns to 1,

The Book!

The test.... this was + to R and - to Bl, it was the same nil reading for everything else!!

Cheers!!

Comment

hmmm.
        first off I see no bl wire.
        I do see a white/blue stripe or a blue with white stripe.
        You should get an infinite reading (where it says 'off')on those combinations and readings of 7-8 ohms or 65-85 ohms on the others.
        for example:

- on blue/white stripe, and + on red Should give 65-85 ohms....
        that is only one combination in the picture.. the very bottom left says minus (-) on blue/white and at the top up from 65-85 it is RED on the +

You'll notice that combination with the leads reversed, ( diferent combination with the leads) should give 'off' (to me that is infinity) or OPEN or whatever YOUR meter reads with the leads open, not touching!!

Take all those tests and you'l see if it is good.

BUT i wonder why you are testing it???

A bad rect/reg will affect the chargingcof the battery.

With a charged batery, the bike should run ok till it goes dead.

You need to check the votage on the battey with the bike running to see the charging..maybe you did and I missed this???

Comment

this would be two tests... using the red wire and the blue/white.

same two wires getting checked but just reversing your leads for the second test.

kind of hard to get the jist but I tried to make a picture hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
            So based on what i now know....is it safe to say this regulator needs replacing?

setting for a x1 ohm readking, test by touching pos and neg together for a 0.00 reading on this setting...then returns to 1,

You have no x1 setting on your DVOM. You have a diode/continuity position. Use that position as the 2KΩ (that your meter shows set on) more than likely will not have enough current flow to turn on the diodes
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

sorry yep that was w/Bl in the pic.........OK had another try in all combos and the only reading I can is the meter set to 200 VKΩ (2 clicks from off) on the - to red and the + to w/Bl, W/R and Y all read appox the same at about 130.0 book also shows B/W, I asume that is the earth lead which is black with me ...

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                You have no x1 setting on your DVOM. You have a diode/continuity position. Use that position as the 2KΩ (that your meter shows set on) more than likely will not have enough current flow to turn on the diodes
                ah hang on I get you now ... yep will try that....

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  set to continuity, I get a reading of approx 800 on on the - to red and the + to w/Bl, W/R and Y as the previous results where it showed 130 (post below).....

going to have to shoot to bed now, I'm not in Uni tomorrow so I'l put the bike back together see if it works then maybe do a swap over from my GZ125 which is a perfect runner and see if there is a difference... I'll check back in the mornibg cheers, this is very interesting, but I think it could be made easyer with a better meter

Comment

Working...
                  X