broke spark plug - options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broke spark plug - options?

I was just going over my new bike, checking spark plugs (they all look fine) but I broke one of them! My big problem is this: I have my driving test scheduled for early Mon. morning and I need my bike for this test. If I can not find an NGK B8ES plug tomorrow (Sunday), can I use another plug temporarily? I found a spark plug cross reference online. If this would be ok, then can I just use one different plug, or would I need to change them all out? Maybe this is all just useless worry, as I may be able to get the B8ES at an auto parts store? New to this, just learning where I can buy stuff for motorcycles, especially on a Sunday. I'll just say, THANK YOU in advance for any info anyone might be able to pass along to me!

what plug are you thinking of using?
    any autoparts store should carry that plug, or an equivalent brand name, and most i would have thought open on sundays, well.....they do in the UK anyway
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

A cross reference chart is fine, and you would only need to change the one plug. However, most auto parts should have them, such as:
      Advance Auto
      Auto Zone
      O'Reilly's Auto Parts
      I personally have purchased NGKs from O'Reilly's before.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        I personally have purchased NGKs from O'Reilly's before.
        Also on the "personally purchased from" list:
        Auto Zone
        Pep Boys
        Advance Auto

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks everyone, I just called and, yes they have them.
          Last night . . . it was late, I broke the plug because I was lazy and used a regular deep socket. Since I have not yet bought any parts locally, I wasn't even sure if I would be able to replace before Monday. It seems there is only one MVD in all of NM which offers the driving test needed for motorcycle endorsement, and they only offer it on Mondays! I have been trying for over a month to get this done, but due to weather and my own schedule, I have not been successful. It was easy to imagine, in my sleep deprived mind, everything falling apart at the last second, and not being able to test this week again! Thanks for all the quick helpful replies. I am a noobie for shubie, and I imagine I will be back soon! Love the forum by the way, I have learned a TON without even posting any questions. And, yes, I absolutely love this bike I somehow ended up with . . . The GS bug has bitten again. Adios, hasta luego.

Comment

Originally posted by rippledub View Post
            Thanks everyone, I just called and, yes they have them.
            Last night . . . it was late, I broke the plug because I was lazy and used a regular deep socket. Since I have not yet bought any parts locally, I wasn't even sure if I would be able to replace before Monday. It seems there is only one MVD in all of NM which offers the driving test needed for motorcycle endorsement, and they only offer it on Mondays! I have been trying for over a month to get this done, but due to weather and my own schedule, I have not been successful. It was easy to imagine, in my sleep deprived mind, everything falling apart at the last second, and not being able to test this week again! Thanks for all the quick helpful replies. I am a noobie for shubie, and I imagine I will be back soon! Love the forum by the way, I have learned a TON without even posting any questions. And, yes, I absolutely love this bike I somehow ended up with . . . The GS bug has bitten again. Adios, hasta luego.
            Where in NM are ya? You can see where I'm at. Just a suggestion, I would recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety course rather then just going down to the MVD to get your endorsement.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

MrBill, I am up in Albuquerque, I see you are down south. No doubt, a safety course would be a good idea! I did pass my driving test with a 100% though . . . so I got that going for me . . . lol
              Glad to hear there is another member in the state. This bike is new to me, and I am just getting to know her quirkes. An hour ago I got in from riding to Belen to see a parts bike, and all my lights went out! Fuse is good, and there is power on both sides of fuse box. Time to start tracking . . .

Comment

MrBill, I am up in Albuquerque, I see you are down south. No doubt, a safety course would be a good idea! I did pass my driving test with a 100% though . . . so I got that going for me . . . lol
                Glad to hear there is another member in the state. This bike is new to me, and I am just getting to know her quirkes. An hour ago I got in from riding to Belen to see a parts bike, and all my lights went out! Fuse is good, and there is power on both sides of fuse box. Time to start tracking . . .
                Aaah okay, I go to Albuq now now and then. Yeah buy a good multi meter and a good circuit tester. Two indespensible tools for a GS lol.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Corrosion on load side of fuse connector. I had thought the power was at both sides of fuse box, but I must have been touching the fuse with the tester. The load side of the fuse tested good, but the blades holding the fuse did not because of the corrosion. Also I tracked a fuel gauge problem to the connection beneath the seat.

mrbill . . . I'll let you know if I'm ever down that way.

Comment

Corrosion on load side of fuse connector. I had thought the power was at both sides of fuse box, but I must have been touching the fuse with the tester. The load side of the fuse tested good, but the blades holding the fuse did not because of the corrosion. Also I tracked a fuel gauge problem to the connection beneath the seat.

mrbill . . . I'll let you know if I'm ever down that way.
                    Sounds good. Hopefully I can start painting on my bike soon, everything is done but that. Sent you a PM
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                    X