keyless (not remote) starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keyless (not remote) starting

I saw a hack on another site when people were using thier kill switch as an ignition-on/off switch. eliminating the need for a key.

has anyone here done this?
    how hard is it?
    how is it done?
    what should I look out for if I try it?

ty in advance

You would have to do a considerable amount of re-wiring, but yeah, it's possible.

Is it worth it? That would depend on what you are trying to acheive.

You could also use one of those key fob things like the new cars have. Then you could replace the key with a switch, but you will still have a considerable amount of re-wiring to do.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

but you would still need a keyswitch somewhere to isolate the kill switch surely?
      otherwise it would be just to easy to steal.........
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

key fob wouldn't help the problem I'm trying to solve which is not having to depend on me carrying and/or not losing a key. would really like to just have a toggle switch that replaces it.

if its too hard its too hard tho... I'll pick up an extra key set and some key blanks just in case...lol
        Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          but you would still need a keyswitch somewhere to isolate the kill switch surely?
          otherwise it would be just to easy to steal.........
          not worried about theft... who would know the ignition was a dummy? security by obscurity

Comment

Originally posted by detorn View Post
            not worried about theft... who would know the ignition was a dummy? security by obscurity
            tire kickers and switch flickers will soon find out.
            plus wouldnt your insurance be invalid without a secure means of immobilising the bike?

i have remote ignition on my bike, small key fob to switch ignition on and off. remote start and alarm all built in. confuses the hell out of people when they ask how i turn it on......
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

key fob wouldn't help the problem I'm trying to solve which is not having to depend on me carrying and/or not losing a key. would really like to just have a toggle switch that replaces it.
              Do you carry a house key? Not afraid of losing it? Put the key fob on the same ring as the house key.

You don't have to do anything with the fob, it only has to be within about six feet of the bike when you flip your toggle switch.
              The fob will "wake up" the system, the toggle switch will make it "active".

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

more often than not I do not carry a house key, but thats not the point if it can't be done it can't be done, I'll deal with the key. was just satisfying my curiosity.

Comment

If you want to install a simple toggle switch the easiest way to wire it is to locate your red constant hot wire install a 15 amp on/off switch. This will be your new igition switch. Cut and strip back the four wires coming out of your ignition crimp or solder all four together. Locate your toggle switch under your tank or somewhere else out of sight. I personallywouldn't do this but I hope this helps.

Comment

you could always install a telepathic receiver on the bike......
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

more often than not I do not carry a house key, but thats not the point
                      I was just trying to determine whether there was something that you always carried with you.

if it can't be done it can't be done, I'll deal with the key. was just satisfying my curiosity.
                      Oh, it can be done, the question is how much effort do you want to put into the project?

Selzer just gave one option. Not sure if it would be quite that easy, as the stock ignition switch wiring is actually several separate circuits that will join in different ways, depending on the position of the switch.

As I mentioned before, it's possible, but any way you go about it, there WILL be some re-wiring.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        you could always install a telepathic receiver on the bike......
                        Still needs some re-wiring.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Why don't you take the barrel apart & remove all the key splines. You should then be able to turn it on with any key / screwdriver etc & remove whatever you turned it on with after....

The other way would be to leave the switch on permanently & install a toggle in the main battery run (have to be big enough to cope with the power though).
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I just leave my key in the bike at home and stick it in my pocket when i am out somewhere.

I guess the cheapest alternative to do what you are wanting is to find a black lid (like off a wd40 can) that will fit tight over the key and ignition area. Then maybe no one would see the key in the bike when unattended.
                            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                            80 gs1000s

Comment

I've seen some RFID systems installed on a couple of cb750/900/1100 F models from the early 80's. One guy even has the RFID chip implanted in his wrist or hand (can't remember). Not sure if you want to do that, but I will try to find the thread on the CB forum.
                              When he wanted to start the bike, all he had to do was waive his wrist a few inches from the receiver installed on his bike. To shut it down he would just waive it by the receiver again. He always had his "key" with him and there is no way he could ever forget it at home or lose it out on the town.

Comment

Working...
                              X