Speedometer Interchangability ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Interchangability ?

I have looked through my 78 gs1000 zuki manual and cannot find info on the speedometer and tachometer ratios.

I am sure there must be a simple way to solve my problem.

I would bet that the identical GUTS of these NIPPO speedometers were used in many bikes.... but dont know what to google to find what would be compatible.

Also, I wonder if there are companies today that make new speedometers or the GUTS to them, that will work in our bikes.

People selling clusters on ebay are asking (not selling) crazy prices.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
    I have looked through my 78 gs1000 zuki manual and cannot find info on the speedometer and tachometer ratios.

I am sure there must be a simple way to solve my problem.
    There is.

You take the speedo apart and count the number of teeth on the drive (input) gear and the driven (the one on the odometer) gear and divide. I suspect it's the same with the tachometer.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi,

The answer is in the forum. I have searched for this a couple dozen times and each time I tell myself I'm going to write it down so that I don't have to look it up again.

I seem to recall that the speedo is 4:1 and the tach is 2440:1. I'll be back after I do a quick search.

EDIT: See correct numbers in the next post.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Hi,

OK, I'm back. That didn't take long.

Speedo = 4:1

Tach = 2240:60

I think most of the aftermarket replacement speedos and tachs (especially the electronic ones) are configurable to whatever the bike needs. Different makes use different ratios.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks BassCliff,

I've got a different speedo to test as well. Thread with pics are forthcoming.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

just if you curious...the 750 850 1100 1000 etc is all the same (correct if im wrong)

i run 92 gsxr 750 gauges...the speedometer is dead on...and others say the tach is more trustworthy then cable...which i do belive as well

but yes cliff is right as always

Comment

I like the color of your bike!

Comment

Thanks guys...I may do some googling this weekend
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                X