Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS750es tachometer ~ no workie ... suggestions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750es tachometer ~ no workie ... suggestions??

Ok, before I look into replacing the instrument cluster on my '83 GS750es, does anyone have a few trouble shooting suggestions that I could try that might help me fix the tachometer on my bike?

FWIW I bought the bike early last winter so I have never seen the tach actually work, so it's anyones guess as to how long it's been since it last worked. Finally fired it up last weekend and that's when I noticed it.

Downloaded the PDF manual off of BassCliff's web site (THANKS!!!) but I'm still at as lost as to why it's not responding.

Thanks.

Your tach should be electronic and if it's like so may others, you'll need to repair it, or find a GOOD replacement tach.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Your tach should be electronic and if it's like so may others, you'll need to repair it, or find a GOOD replacement tach.

http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...24#post1547324
      Thanks for that thread link, definitely and interesting read! Do you know if Nater ever finished making those boards? And is there a way to test the input signal?, I still have hope that it's something other than a fried board.

Comment

i haven't heard from nater in a while. he made me a board, but it did not work. you can find the thread. i haven't bothered him about it in a while, i will shoot him a pm and see what is up. I have decided to replace mine with gsxr guages, others have gone with acewell or dime city units. some have replaced capacitors, resistors and the like to achieve....questionable results, it seems. if you figure it out, send me one!

greg

edit, rusty gave the link! nice.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          i haven't heard from nater in a while. he made me a board, but it did not work. you can find the thread. i haven't bothered him about it in a while, i will shoot him a pm and see what is up. I have decided to replace mine with gsxr guages, others have gone with acewell or dime city units. some have replaced capacitors, resistors and the like to achieve....questionable results, it seems. if you figure it out, send me one!

greg
          Hmmm, so will a next gen instrument panel "bolt on" to a '83 GS750/'84-'85 GS700?? Like say ... a unit off of a '88 GSX750?

Comment

i'm fabricating a bracket for it. you need a model with an e-tach and a mechanical speedo.

here is one thread on aftermarket gauges:

there are quite a few more out there. imo, the gxr gauges look the best, i like an analog dial over a digital display anytime. anything you do is going to require some massaging to get to work.

i'll post some pics of mine when it is done, waiting on some electrical bits and i need to get the bracket fabbed.

greg
            1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
            X