79' 1000S self cancelling bypass mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79' 1000S self cancelling bypass mod

Hey all, Glenn and I are diagnosing his turn signal issues on his 79 1000S and it looks like the self canceller is the issue. His front brake light and his left turn signals won't work and it's all pointing to that thing. I can't find the link or thread about how you replace it with a flasher unit. I remember doing it on my 79 850 a long time ago but need the thread, can someone point us in the right direction, thanks.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Originally posted by azr View Post
    Hey all, Glenn and I are diagnosing his turn signal issues on his 79 1000S and it looks like the self canceller is the issue. His front brake light and his left turn signals won't work and it's all pointing to that thing. I can't find the link or thread about how you replace it with a flasher unit. I remember doing it on my 79 850 a long time ago but need the thread, can someone point us in the right direction, thanks.
    Don't think the first generation Turn Signal Control Unit (TSCU) being bad has anything to do with the front brake light.
    Do believe Dale (Rustybronco) has the bypass or modification schematic for the turn signals.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

A failing TSCU can cause one side or the other turn signal not to flash or flash inconsistently. If one side flashes, the flasher itself is all right. Clean all the grounds and sockets associated with the turn signals because it won't flash unless it feels the load of both bulbs. I removed my TSCU and installed two flashers on the wires in the 4 pin plug and have gotten used to just using them manually. They always work and I never leave them on because you have to hold the switch to have them work. I believe it was Rustybronco who posted a schematic to latch the turn signals with relays. It will work, and a timer circuit could be used to break the latching relay if you wanted self canceling like the original TSCU. I haven't had time to do this yet, and to tell the truth you get used to holding the switch and clutching at the same time, so I may not do it until my son has enough money to start rebuilding his 850G that has the same TSCU and problems as mine did. The front brake switch is a separate problem. It is under the front brake lever and can be cleaned, but I preferred to replace mine with a banjo bolt type pressure switch on the front master cylinder.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yes, Glenn figured out that the front brake light had nothing to do with the signals, I was testing the wrong wires. So the front brake light is fix but Glenns still having issues with the signals. I'm not exactly sure what you meant by attaching flashers. On the 79' there is a 4 prong and a 6 prong. I do seem to remember there was a step by step mod for it, it must be somewhere on here.
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Yes, Glenn figured out that the front brake light had nothing to do with the signals, I was testing the wrong wires. So the front brake light is fix but Glenns still having issues with the signals. I'm not exactly sure what you meant by attaching flashers. On the 79' there is a 4 prong and a 6 prong. I do seem to remember there was a step by step mod for it, it must be somewhere on here.
          There have been many threads on this issue, but luckily I found a unit eventually that did work.
          But that was after going through many that didn't.
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

From post #21 onward. (Cal Look Zero)

Another read...

( Diagram on http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...28&postcount=6 )
            Last edited by rustybronco; 05-01-2013, 08:13 AM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks Dale, just what I was hunting around for with not much luck. We actually got the stock one working but it only last 5 miles before it stopped working again time for a flasher.
              Rob

Comment

I'm surprised you haven't come up with a replacement unit yet Dale. I have other relay mods, so I was planning to make a plate in the TSCU location so I could mount the relays on plug in blocks to get them all in a consolidated location and make a waterproof cover. That way I could carry spares for easy replacement and mark everything so I don't forget what I did (an everyday battle when you are pushing 66). I haven't received my proverbial "Round_To_It" yet, so it remains in the planning stages and like I said I've gotten used to using turn signals manually and using the clutch handle at the same time (good arthritis exercise). When I do get it done, I'll post up a schematic if someone else hasn't come up with a replacement TSCU before that.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Robert Barr has a picaxe solution.

Wallowgreen has a µP based solution.
                  This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

And I just ordered parts for this one.

Comment

I guess I have been real lucky with my 78 GS flashers. The flashers work as they should, but the self cancelling part doesnt work. I simply press down on the button to turn them off.

Since those units are so expensive, I was "thinking about" adding a beeper to the signal to remind me because sometimes in full sun it is hard to see the blinker in the dash.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                      I guess I have been real lucky with my 78 GS flashers. The flashers work as they should, but the self cancelling part doesnt work. I simply press down on the button to turn them off.

Since those units are so expensive, I was "thinking about" adding a beeper to the signal to remind me because sometimes in full sun it is hard to see the blinker in the dash.
                      No doubt about it, the sun making the blinking light hard to see, which is why those out there in use that don't self cancel I consider extremely dangerous for that reason. Now those self cancelling ones were used on the "E" models. The "C" model doesn't have self cancelling and does in fact have a "buzzer" beeper or whatever installed on it, '78, '79 models that is.
                      And they're still available for about $19 plus shipping @ Boulevard Suzuki.
                      Items 12-1, and 12-2 on this parts fiche. (The new part supercedes two older part numbers, scroll down on the parts listing to see it.)
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        No doubt about it, the sun making the blinking light hard to see, which is why those out there in use that don't self cancel I consider extremely dangerous for that reason. Now those self cancelling ones were used on the "E" models. The "C" model doesn't have self cancelling and does in fact have a "buzzer" beeper or whatever installed on it, '78, '79 models that is.
                        And they're still available for about $19 plus shipping @ Boulevard Suzuki.
                        Items 12-1, and 12-2 on this parts fiche. (The new part supercedes two older part numbers, scroll down on the parts listing to see it.)
                        http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1978&fveh=2146
                        Thanks for the info... mine is an E
                        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                        80 gs1000s

Comment

There have been many threads on this issue, but luckily I found a unit eventually that did work.
                          Wow that thing is a real monster.

Comment

So is everybody looking for a form fit function replacement (i.e. looks just like the original)?

It would be relatively easy to make a device that has screw terminals and you just cut off you old connectors and move the wires to the screw terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              I guess it's in how you look at it. In all actuality it is a simple unit. In practice it is a little more involved.

Wallow green has a µP he designed. He even coded the software for it.

Robert Barr made a PICAXE unit up.

Comment

Working...
                              X