79' 1000S self cancelling bypass mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    So is everybody looking for a form fit function replacement (i.e. looks just like the original)?
    That would be my guess.

A poll asking?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Does anyone know how to confirm if my 1978 gs1000e has the CORRECT speedometer to work with the self cancelling units?

((... if your self cancelling function doesn't work of course))

I have changed out my speedo (for accuracy reasons)...and also have several other speedos but do not know how to tell them a part. They are all 140 mph
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        That would be my guess.

A poll asking?
        I need a pole more than a poll on that one. And I don't particularly need a pole at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
          Does anyone know how to confirm if my 1978 gs1000e has the CORRECT speedometer to work with the self cancelling units?
          Yes.

The 'EC~ EN' models have an additional loom coming out of the 'cluster' that has the two wires for the reed switch. The base ('C~N') models do not as they are manual cancel.

'EC~EN' model gauges...
          Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

The 1980 USA spec 'E' models had the reed switch but had a 85 mph speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              Yes.

The 'EC~ EN' models have an additional loom coming out of the 'cluster' that has the two wires for the reed switch. The base ('C~N') models do not as they are manual cancel.

'EC~EN' model gauges...
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&postcount=240
              Thank you RustyBronco..that should be enough info for me to figure it out.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

For what it's worth I re wired a gs650g control and did away with auto canceling signals. The auto either cancelled at the wrong time or stayed on to long
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

What we need is the magic solution to get the rock hard black potting stuff offa board so it can be reengineered and made with new reliable parts.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Take it to the airport and have them xray it?

Comment

Yeah..but what about reading the numbers on the transistors??? Need some details there as well
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        What we need is the magic solution to get the rock hard black potting stuff offa board so it can be reengineered and made with new reliable parts.
                        Yeah, that stuff is like "bakelite" maybe even harder. Sledge hammer comes to mind, hammer and chisel, grinding wheel, What do you have to lose? You should have a couple left from the one's I gave you that failed completely.
                        No one that I know has ever seen what's in that little magic TSCU.
                        Maybe, just clamping it in a vice would break it up a little and you can work it from there. Yeah, I think that's what I would do. But for the first time I no longer have any, sent the remaining "flock" of them up to Dale the other day.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

And I'll post up a picture when they are reunited with the rest of the 'flock'.

Chuck, a-boot* the only thing that you do is grind away the hard plastic shell then use heat and a pick to remove the potting material.

*hazzard of spending to much time in Kanada yesterday.

Comment

Dale...I tries with the torch this AM on an old one that had only one working side. What I found was that it doesnt take very much heat to make the potting stuff rather pliable and it picks and flakes rather easily actually..then I splipped and drive the pick into my hand and back in the house now.

Anywho..this leads me to some points to ponder. Since I cant bring it into the house to put in the oven at low heat, why wouldnt a light bulb or an easy bake oven kinda deal soften the goo without causing the resistors to explode???

Comment

Found an article in Motorcycle Classics about our infamous TSCUs...surprise that they told the guy asking the question to come to the GSR......and something about RF interfereence confusing the timer and reed switch. Anyone care to expound on this RF thing??

Motorcycle Classics tech expert Keith Fellenstein solves a problem with the automatic-canceling turn signals on a Suzuki GS850.

Comment

At high speeds the signal frequency could get rather hectic. If the timing circuit capacitors were old and dried out it could wreak havoc with the circuit.
                                I think these devices are in need of a re-cap. In audio systems replacing 30 year old caps not only yields better sound but prevents breakdowns. Somewhere in the design there is a RC time clock that might be the problem. Alternatively the timing could be modified a bit.

I had a working unit on my GS1000G that went pretty quick on eBay. I'm very happy with my manual turn signals, especially now that the controls match my GS650G and includes an off switch for the headlight.
                                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                                X