Electronic starter issue gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic starter issue gs550

On my 78 gs550, when I hit the starter button it blows the ignition fuse. Doesn't engage the starter at all. When the button is pushed the lights dim way down until the fuse blows in about a second, then they come back fine.

It kick starts and runs like a champ, thank God for kick start.

How do I test this? The switch is good and the wire connection in the headlight bucket has power.

I fixed an ignition problem on my buddy's bike where the ground from the starter switch was bad and it wouldn't blow a fuse, just no power. I'm sure I have good power to the fuse, but why is it providing more than the fuse can handle?

Open up your right handle switch and look for any bare wires. Then start going through the harness from there back and make sure something isn't touching that shouldn't.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I know the switch is fine because I bypassed it and the fuse still blew. I didn't want to cut open the whole wiring loom if it's something simple under the side panels. I've checked for bad wires everywhere I can.

Comment

Originally posted by isu2014 View Post
        I know the switch is fine because I bypassed it and the fuse still blew. I didn't want to cut open the whole wiring loom if it's something simple under the side panels. I've checked for bad wires everywhere I can.
        Yes, you can ASSUME that your switch is fine, but only because it only blows the fuse when you push the button.

HOWEVER, there are two wires connected to that switch. The one that is not 'live' until the button is pushed just MIGHT have some insulation pulled back and is shorting out when you push the button.

If you really don't want to go through all the trouble to remove the two screws that hold the switch housing together, feel free to open the seat and remove the tank so you can inspect the rest of the wires that are downstream of the starter switch.

By the way, "downstream of the starter switch", you will find wiring that goes through the headlight bucket to the clutch "safety" switch, back through the headlight bucket, through a connector or three, then on, through the harness to the starter solenoid. There is also a remote possibility that the solenoid itself is shorted.

Happy hunting.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I already took the switch apart. I know it's fine. The switch is fine. I also had the seat and tank off at the same time. It's not a big deal. I tied my clutch sensor wires together and I thought that might be the issue but they've been tied together for 2 weeks and this just started.

Comment

I already took the switch apart. I know it's fine. The switch is fine. ...
            I'm convinced! now unplug the solenoid trigger wire at solenoid and press starter button; what happens now?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              I'm convinced! now unplug the solenoid trigger wire at solenoid and press starter button; what happens now?
              Probably a good test. Since it sounds like there is somehow a short in the solenoid.

Comment

I unplugged the solenoid trigger wire and the fuse still blew.

Comment

I unplugged the solenoid trigger wire and the fuse still blew.
                  Well, that was my best guess! now unplug that trigger wire and use a jumper wire from battery positive to trigger solenoid directly - use small guage wire like 18 g. Does starter engage? Please make sure you are in neutral!!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I did it directly and there's power to it because it arcs when the wire touches, but the starter doesn't engage. The fuse didn't blow. I'm guessing bad solenoid.

Comment

I did it directly and there's power to it because it arcs when the wire touches, but the starter doesn't engage. The fuse didn't blow. I'm guessing bad solenoid.
                      Did you try the screwdriver across the main terminals to get the starter to spin?

That would confirm it is the solenoid is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Did you try the screwdriver across the main terminals to get the starter to spin?

That would confirm it is the solenoid is bad.
                        I used my pocket knife. The starter started. Ordered a starter solenoid.

Comment

Put on the new starter solenoid (got shocked only once) and the bike fired right up electronically.

Comment

Put on the new starter solenoid (got shocked only once) and the bike fired right up electronically.
                            binary seach otherwise known as divide and conquer works well
                            Last edited by posplayr; 05-13-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X