Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues..battery?

Alright,
    Off to a heck of a start with the new 83GS1100. I went to pick up the bike and it appeared to have some battery acid leaking. Possible old battery or failed cell.
    He starts the bike up with no issue. I test ride it. We start it several more times throughout the conversation and discussions. After the sale i go to start the bike and the battery appears to not have enough power to kick the engine over.
    We put it on a battery charger and break out a multimeter. It appears to be charging correctly at about 12.2. I start the bike and ride about 20 miles home. Upon arriving back at the house I recheck to see if it has power to start and it is good to go.
    I wake up this morning and roll the bike down the driveway (non baffled 4-1). about halfway down the hill I stop and attempt to start the bike. Again there is nothing and it acts as though the battery is run down. At this point I am way down a steep hill and past the point of no return so I bump start it. Against what should have been my better judgement I then ride it 20 miles to work thining it wil charge up.
    Upon arriving to work I try to re-start it and it appears dead again. I am confused, yet had to get to work. At lunch I went out removed the side cover and moved around some wires. I tried the ignition again and it roared to life like it had a brand new battery.
    Again not being the smartest fry in the happy meal I decide to ride and get something to eat. When I went to return the bike again acted like there was zero charge.
    Is it the battery? some sort of draining ground fault. What wires should I check? Or is the reg/rec or stator going out intermittently?

I am at a loss. Day two with the bike and nothing but issues. I am really starting to miss my reliable gs450 right now. Thanks to anyone who can help who read that long rant.

Gary

firstly 12.2 volts is not a good charging voltage, its bad.you say the battery looked bad when you went to pick the bike up, have you removed it and checked it for cracks and the levels in the cells?
    also you say wiggling the wires "appeared" to cure the problem, temporarily. this suggests you need to go through the whole wiring, starting from the battery and check ALL connections are clean,secure and tight.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Battery

I just picked up the bike last night. It is new to me and still retains the factory airbox. Just popping the battery out seems to be a task in itself. Goal is to pull the battery out of the bike tomorrow and take it soewhere to have it checked/replaced. (if i can get it pulled out somehow.
      I haven't hada chance to REALLY give the bike a good once over. It appears the previous owner was a member here Jmains. I asked if he had been having issues and he stated no. I would like to think he wouldn't have fked me over. However I guess it is possible it is a stator or reg/rec issue.
      I have never had a bike intermitently act as though it was dead the you jiggle some things around and it all acts as though it has a perfect battery. I was hoping someone would have a better dea where to start. I will start tracing wires with a fresh battery tomorrow, It just seems really odd and I don't understand.. Could it be possible a cell in the battery vibrates over and is shorting out but when you jiggle the battery it moves and starts fine?

would love any and all advice.

This thing has more bells and whistles than my bare bones harness on my 450.

Gary

Comment

there is no better way to start........... checking/replacing the battery is top of the list before you even think of going any further. then you need to check all your connections. there is no point doing any reg/rec or charging checks until you know all the connections are good and clean.
        it maybe isnt the answer you are looking for but unfortunately it is the ONLY answer.
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

by the way, Jmains is still a member here and his last activity was yesterday, maybe he can join in and tell us about any issues he may or may not have had with the bike.
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Battery

Jay seemed like a truely great guy. Even threw me some money back toward the battery after I told him of the issue. He called to verify I got home ETC.
            I am in no way trying to insinuate he is trying to pull anything over. At least I hope not. I was going to text or call him to let him know I got the title transfered over today, but he has had a death in the family and i wanted to give some time for him to deal if he was in the middle of those issues.
            Hopefuly he will chime in though. When talking to him he stated that it had never let him down, and was a completely new issue. He stated that he usually had it plugged in to a battery tender nightly though. The battery tender "MAY" have been masking a problem?

Time willing I will dig into this tomorrow, and hopefully it will be a shorted wire or just the bad battery. If I get the new battery in and the issue creeps back I will at least know there is a bigger issue hiding.

Gary

Comment

The only thing I have heard Jay post about the bike is how good it runs and how he shouldn't sell it cause how good it runs 10.59 with wheelie bars on it. It is no slouch for sure.
              My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Most of your description sounds like the charging system is not charging the battery.

You will need a voltmeter to check this out.
                Do you have a voltmeter (multimeter)?

But, then this:
                Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
                ..........Upon arriving to work I try to re-start it and it appears dead again. I am confused, yet had to get to work. At lunch I went out removed the side cover and moved around some wires. I tried the ignition again and it roared to life like it had a brand new battery.......
                THat sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Maybe the redwire going to the fuse block.

Tell us more what you find.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

why not end the suspense and just do a "Quick Test"

And as stated by the others 12.2V is not charging but discharging no matter what RPM
                  Last edited by posplayr; 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

battery

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    why not end the suspense and just do a "Quick Test"

And as stated by the others 12.2V is not charging but discharging no matter what RPM
                    I would love to end the suspense. I own a multimeter myself and have never actually used it. I am not sure what setting to put it on or where to put the leads for a test. The info I posted was from the previous owner I believe putting his multi meter on the charging leads while hooked but running to jump it last night. Obviously an innacurate way to get a reading unless I am missing something.
                    My multimeter is a cheap harbor freight version. Any advice on where to probe is appreciated. Goal for tomorrow was to tear down enough to replace the battery and check the connections. Any advice on where to test, settings, and how is appreciated. I am new when it comes to this whole electrical mess. I won't be offended if you talk to me like you ere teaching you child...really my background in electrical is minimal when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,
                    Gary

Comment

battery

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                      The only thing I have heard Jay post about the bike is how good it runs and how he shouldn't sell it cause how good it runs 10.59 with wheelie bars on it. It is no slouch for sure.

Runs great, slight popping on low throttle, but none on idle or above 3500. pluds look good. No baffle and I think that is part of the issue with that. (I could be wrong).

It pulled the number no doubt. I just got to figure out how to make it reliable for more than a once a week track run.

Gary

Comment

When do you need a visit?

I am busy tomorrow (Saturday), not sure about Sunday, yet.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

battery?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          When do you need a visit?

I am busy tomorrow (Saturday), not sure about Sunday, yet.

Steve,
                          I figured I would make some minor changes and see what I can figure out. Whoever designed the airbox over battery is Satan in my eyes right now. Any help you could offer to see where the issue is, and a laundry list of things to get her reliable would be outstanding.

Gary

Comment

Take you meter and set it 20v DC. Red lead to Pos on battery and Black to Neg on battery. Start it up and check the voltage there at idle, about 2500rpm, and then at 5000+rpm. I forget the actual numbers for sure but want to say anything between 13 to 16 volts is acceptable. Dont quote me on those numbers though.

Its all in the stator papers "quick test"

Comment

Originally posted by xxBenJamminxx View Post
                              Take you meter and set it 20v DC. Red lead to Pos on battery and Black to Neg on battery. Start it up and check the voltage there at idle, about 2500rpm, and then at 5000+rpm. I forget the actual numbers for sure but want to say anything between 13 to 16 volts is acceptable. Dont quote me on those numbers though.

Its all in the stator papers "quick test"
                              16v and you might need a fire extinguisher handy........14.5v is max you want to see.
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X