Weird Issue - EMP maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Issue - EMP maybe?

this is hard to explain so bear with me. This pertains to my race motor which is a 1980 GS750 motor.

It is giving off something - noise, IR, EMP, somthing - that caused a dyno to reboot when the RPM clip was attached to a plug wire. Also my Innovate MTX-D oil presure/temperature gauge reboots as well.

The ignition and regulator is stock. There are no lights, turn signals, etc. The headlight wire from the regulator is disconnected.

I do not have any filters installed on the plugs or anywhere else.

What do you think could be causing the problem?

-Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

You probably have no resistors in your spark plug caps. I noticed that when I removed the resistors from my caps, electronics (multimeter, etc) within a few feet of the bike went all haywire when the bike is running. If this is what's wrong, you have two options:

1) Buy plug caps with resistors in them (5k is the stock value)

2) Buy spark plugs with resistors in them. If you have B8ES plugs, BR8ES is the resistor-enabled equivalent.

And no, the resistors don't negatively affect performance of the engine at any speed.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Pretty good case for RF interference symptoms.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          You probably have no resistors in your spark plug caps. I noticed that when I removed the resistors from my caps, electronics (multimeter, etc) within a few feet of the bike went all haywire when the bike is running. If this is what's wrong, you have two options:

1) Buy plug caps with resistors in them (5k is the stock value)

2) Buy spark plugs with resistors in them. If you have B8ES plugs, BR8ES is the resistor-enabled equivalent.

And no, the resistors don't negatively affect performance of the engine at any speed.
          I have a set of NGK Spark Plug Caps I got from Z1 some time ago and never used. I'll give them a try.

thanks!

but I liked the alien theory better

Comment

Installed a set of NGK DR8EA plugs and the problem seems to have gone away. Will find out for sure in 2-weeks at the next race.

Comment

Working...
            X