Turn signal flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal flasher

On my 81 GS 850G the turn signals will not flash. They come on, but won't cycle. I've tried replacing the relay, and the relay box, but no change. With the turn signal on, if you tap the side of the relay, it will flash one time. The voltage coming in to the relay is about 10.4 volts. Any ideas? Thanks, tommyturbo2

maybe one of the flasher bulbs is burnt out?

Comment

Originally posted by tommyturbo2 View Post
      On my 81 GS 850G the turn signals will not flash. They come on, but won't cycle. I've tried replacing the relay, and the relay box, but no change. With the turn signal on, if you tap the side of the relay, it will flash one time. The voltage coming in to the relay is about 10.4 volts. Any ideas? Thanks, tommyturbo2
      Find out why it doesn't have battery voltage.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

#1) Check and clean every ground. This will cause blinker problems and even if not the cause it's a part of maintenance and costs $0.

#2) On my bike if one bulb was out or the fronts were disconnected the rear blinkers would just light up. Just a thought.

However, it sounds like your relay might be ALMOST able to click over on it's own since you can tap it to get it to open/close. I'd bet you've got a simple grounding issue.

Comment

Get your voltage up over 12 and try again.

What did you replace your flasher with? If you went to Auto Zone (or similar) and got a flasher, it will never work.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll start with the grounds. tturbo2

Comment

Working...
            X