Turn Signal Wiring 78 GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Wiring 78 GS1000?

I am trying to revive a 78 GS1000 that has 32,xxx miles on it. The previous owner had a Windjammer and saddlebags on it. The turn signal wiring is cut up bad on both ends and those Scotch clip things are everywhere. I have found the power wire that goes into the rear turn signal stalks shorted out due to exposed wiring and repaired that. My old Clymer manual does not tell me the colr code for the power wire feeding each turn signal. I have unconnected Blk, Blk /white, Grn, and Orange wires to work with.
    At this point I am not sure about the flasher, or the switch. I want to get these wires sorted out first. I would appreciate any insight.
    thanks,
    Tony p

There's a wiring diagram on Cliff's site for that bike. Some where on here a fella has a great colour diagram, I'll see if I can find it for you. The green wire is for the right side of the bike, front and back of course.

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Here's ya a service manual.

You'll find the '78 GS1000 basic model, otherwise known a the "C" wiring diagram on page 11-24.
      And you'll find a turn signal schematic for the '78 GS1000E on page 12-8.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
        Where can I get a relay and a flasher for my GS1000?
        I assume it is a 78 GS1000C?

Tony p

Comment

I got the turn signals wired up and they are working. Except for one problem, after initially blinking 3 times, my Left side signals now stay ON even when I have not activasted the left flasher!
          Now I would LOVE to have my flashers to operate as turn signals and running lights but the left side is not flashing at all now and it stays on even when left turn is cancelled.
          I am stumped!
          tony p

Comment

More likely than not, the bike has a poor ground somewhere.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyp884 View Post
              Thanks for the help guys.
              Where can I get a relay and a flasher for my GS1000?
              I assume it is a 78 GS1000C?

Tony p
              You really have to determine which model you do have, the turn signal wiring is different.
              The basic "C" (C denotes the year) model looks like this.

The "E" model looks like this.

Once you determine which model you have, you can go from there.
              The big differences between the models that are easy to spot are the aluminum wheels and dual disks on the E model. The "E" model has self cancelling turn signals, and thus different wiring, a turn signal control unit where as the "C" or basic has a buzzer to let you know that your turn signals are on.
              Should you have an E model and need a new turn signal control unit, it will cost you big bucks, most people modify the wiring to have their turn signals to work manually for that reason.
              As far as getting the new parts.
              Boulevard Suzuki,
              Check the wiring harness part for the buzzer and turn signal control unit,
              the flasher is on the turn signal parts fiche.
              They're having problems with the fiche, you can see the parts, but just a note saying they're having "technical" problems with the parts breakdown.
              But here's a start.

Hope this helps.
              If you need more guidance, feel free to ask.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Ok, I have the "E" model because I have mag wheels and cancelling turn signals.
                How would I wire the turn signals manually? But my engine is not a SHINNY as the one in the photo!

thanks,
                Tony p

Comment

Working...
                X