blue tape splices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blue tape splices?

So I'm looking at the wiring harness and there are a bunch of splices that have a brass fitting covered with blue tape. not sure if they are original because there are a lot of them, or a some hack job because they don't really look to well put together. can anyone tell me is this is original? pics below

both my 82 550M and the 85 550EF have the poorly wrapped blue tape. must be stock unless the same guy had my bikes as well

Comment

Crimps like that are likely original.

Not sure about the blue tape, though.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the info. its just so ghetto I had to ask

Comment

Pretty sure it's original -- I've found these buried in wiring harnesses that have never been opened.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Pretty sure it's original -- I've found these buried in wiring harnesses that have never been opened.
            I have been wondering how/where to find the splices in wiring harness that must be there somewhere.

Such as where the R/R output must be tied into the red wire that goes from main fuse to the ignition switch. (And possibly the cause of voltage drop that I am experiencing from main fuse to ignition switch.)

So what it appaears to be from this posting is:
            Strip off the black wiring harness cover and look for blue tape.
            But I don't really want to strip back lots of the wiring harness cover in a random search. Would like to locate the general area first.

And where the various ground (blk/wht) wires must be tied together. (but am not having a problem there). hey, that is one of detorn's pictures.

Hey, Detorn: You find another place where red wires are spiced together? Where at?

Last edited by Redman; 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X