Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flasher relay diagnosis

78gs1000e

Yesterday my right turn signals stopped working.

I took off the side plate and found that the flasher relay made a buzzing sound when I turned my right signals on.

In diagnosing it I put on a flasher relay from orielly that I had previously purchased. The left worked fine but when I put the right signals on it blew a fuse. (green neutral is on same circuit)

I had an extra fuse so I tried it again. this time the top fuse blew !!!

When I put the old oem flasher back on, left works and right buzzes.

Any ideas?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Sounds like there's a short in the right turn signal wiring. I'd do a visual inspection of the wiring going to the handle bars and headlight bucket to make sure nothing rubbed through (I had it happen to me recently, so it's my first instinct and its easy to check). After that I'd suggest checking the connections to the turn signals - one in the headlight bucket and one at the tail (between the tail piece and the rear fender for me).

Comment

Thanks Eric, much appreciated. It is best to know what and where to look before digging in.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Don't forget that a internally shorted bulb could cause the same issue.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Does the '79 E have self-cancelling signals?

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
          ... (green neutral is on same circuit)

What "green neutral"?

The only green wires that I am aware of are:
          - a dark green wire goes from the horns to the horn button
          - a light green wire is the "hot" wire for the right turn signal.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Does the '79 E have self-cancelling signals?

Yes it does have and no it doesn't have a flasher relay. It does have a turn signal relay as Suzuki calls it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              Yes it does have and no it doesn't have a flasher relay. It does have a turn signal relay as Suzuki calls it.
              Basically the same thing, isn't it?

Would a replacement from O'Riley work?

I know that it won't on the newer, '80-and-up systems, I just have no experience with the older ones.
              I do seem to remember that it's a royal pain to try to eliminate the self-cancel feature on the older ones.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I do seem to remember that it's a royal pain to try to eliminate the self-cancel feature on the older ones.
                It's proper name should have been turn signal flasher, not a 'relay' as Suzuki called it.

Although I haven't tried one yet, it should work just fine.

Easy-peasy to circumvent the original turn signal control unit.

Normk's iteration...http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...28&postcount=6
                Last edited by rustybronco; 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

The OEM "turn signal flasher" buzzes when I turn on the right signal, the oreilly "turn signal flasher" blows a fuse when I turn on my right signal. Once it blew the fuse for the lights and the green neutral light on the cluster, next it blew the top fuse which is the lights and everything.

I just got back home so I may go take a look at everything here in a bit.
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

I know that it won't on the newer, '80-and-up systems, I just have no experience with the older ones.

Mine is a 78, and the self cancelling function has been not working forever. I just manually switch it off by pressing down on the lever.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      It's proper name should have been turn signal flasher, not a 'relay' as Suzuki called it.

Although I haven't tried one yet, it should work just fine.

Easy-peasy to circumvent the original turn signal control unit.

Normk's iteration...http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...28&postcount=6
                      Where does the IN 4001 diode go?
                      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

No where at this time.

Comment

MYSTERY SOLVED, MUCH APPRECIATION TO EVERYONE.

I started with the simple check bulbs and they were ok. I noticed that the right rear signal wire was actually smashed against the plastic fender. (the custom rack I installed must have been enough of an addition to make it not clear well enough)

Even though I didn't see any exposed metal on the wire, there must have been in that flat smashed part. When I wiggled it, the blinker started working again.

I took the light bracket off and electrical taped the smashed spot. I reattached it all with a thick washer to set the fender away from the bracket enough to clear the wire without rubbing.

Thanks again guys. This forum rocks!
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Liquid electrical tape..available at Lowes and Home Depot works great and is less gaudy looking than tape. And its permanently on and wont come undone like tape can.

Wipe it on and let dry real good..done forever.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Liquid electrical tape..available at Lowes and Home Depot works great and is less gaudy looking than tape. And its permanently on and wont come undone like tape can.

Wipe it on and let dry real good..done forever.
                              good info ! I will remember that if it fails again .... because it is a PITA to put all that stuff off and on with the custom rack involved.
                              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                              80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                              X