No announcement yet.

81 850 g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my ignition switch back,put it in.When the dash lights come on, that is considered on with the ignition right? And one more turn to the right is what? Fork lock? The igniter is still not hooked up,waiting on screws to come in the mail.I have the bike in neutral,clutch pulled in.The orange white and orange wires I talked about before I have tried in both of the only 2 possible positions.I am thinking the mystery wire I spoke of might be the culprit, but going across the small posts did nothing.I am going to try the big posts next.I am going to go to lowes, the garden tractor solenoid has 1 small post as it should on the bike.If i reconnect the mystery wire, I suppose I could ground it somewhere and see what happens.I would rather change solenoids.If the igniter isnt connected I know there will be no spark, but that shouldnt interfere with the solenoid and starter turning over correct? Answers appreciated.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
      And one more turn to the right is what? Fork lock?
      I suggest you turn the key then see if the forks will turn.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

They turn.I put a jumper across the big posts of the solenoid.The bike turns over, so at least the starter circuit works.The lock man thought it was a park setting.I dont see a lock on the bike.The key turns all the way to the left and or the right,not sure why.maybe one of them was for parking lights.Now I know the solenoid is not working,presumably because the extra wire it had that isnt connected.If this is a repost I am sorry.I will go to lowes and get another solenoid.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Then you've answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            Then you've answered your own question.
            I tried grounding the extra wire.doesnt work.I will get the solenoid to take that out of the equation.If I answered my own question that's good,didnt know I had.I was just theorizing.

Comment

This is the question I quoted,
              And one more turn to the right is what? Fork lock?
              it had nothing to do with wiring or grounding your starter solenoid.

If I answered my own question that's good,didnt know I had.
              If you had just turned your ignition switch and then tried turning the handle bars, it would have answered your question instead of having to ask someone.

Teach a man to fish...
              Last edited by rustybronco; 09-16-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

This is the question I quoted, it had nothing to do with wiring or grounding your starter solenoid.

If you had just turned your ignition switch and then tried turning the handle bars, it would have answered your question instead of having to ask someone.

Teach a man to fish...
                I dont appreciate your remark.It is i privilege to ask questions here.Up until now no one has gotten annoyed by me asking a question.If I was able to figure something out I wouldnt ask the question.

Comment

My comment was intended to help 'you' think your way through your problems. It was not critical in any way.

Again, give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you've helped him for a lifetime.

Comment

My comment was intended to help 'you' think your way through your problems. It was not critical in any way.

Again, give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you've helped him for a lifetime.
                    Ok, I can accept that one.

Comment

Now, to give you your fish for the day:

Starting in the far left position, the ignition key is in the LOCK position. That will lock the forks at either extreme.

The second position is OFF. That is where you will normally leave it when you turn the bike off.

The third position is ON or RUN. That is where it needs to be to ride the bike.

The fourth position is PARK. It will also lock the forks, but will turn on the tail light, too. This is considered a "safety" thing, but will run down the battery in less than an hour.

Looking at the electrical connections in these key positions, in the LOCK and OFF positions, nothing is connected.

In the ON position, the red and orange wires are connected, and the gray and brown wires are connected.

In the PARK position, the red and brown wires are connected.

Now go get your own rod, reel and bait.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Reading through all your post, you never mentioned getting a wiring diagram. The electrical system on these bikes is not that complicated once you see it all laid out on a diagram. You will be able to trace your wires and see where they are supposed to go. It's not practical to try and learn how to rewire your bike by posting on an internet forum. Perhaps you could find a member close to you that could help you figure out what the PO did to your wiring harness.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                          Reading through all your post, you never mentioned getting a wiring diagram. The electrical system on these bikes is not that complicated once you see it all laid out on a diagram. You will be able to trace your wires and see where they are supposed to go. It's not practical to try and learn how to rewire your bike by posting on an internet forum. Perhaps you could find a member close to you that could help you figure out what the PO did to your wiring harness.

I agree with you about learning on the forum.Basscliffs site is helpful, but his wiring colors do not match mine.basically I think what happened is for one he admitted he didnt know what he was doing, the bike quit on him so he assumed it was electrical,didnt know what, so he started disconnecting things.I have most things reconnected.I am waiting for screws to come to remount the igniter.Those kind of problems I dont need help with.Obvious to remount umounted key components.I did find the small vacuum tube from the petcock to the carb bank off,that is probably all that was wrong in the first place.I have a friend working on a rebuild of a cb 750 that is a whiz so he will help me get it sorted out.I didnt think since the cut wires were obvious and the disconnected components were obvious i would have trouble.There is a starter disconnect switch between the start button and the solenoid i want to remove, but do not see it inline.I am wondering if its in the left hand control,also named the clutch switch.If so, that doesnt show on a colored square diagram of wires,but its route is easy to follow on paper.

I do appreciate your input.

Comment

I agree with you about learning on the forum.Basscliffs site is helpful, but his wiring colors do not match mine.
                            Back in post #7 I gave you a link to a very good wiring diagram. The notation on the diagram says it's for a 1980 GS850, but your '81 is the same, electrically.

I have now, or have had in the past, both, an '80 and an '81 850, and can verify that this diagram works and is accurate.

Incidentally, Suzuki was very good at keeping wiring colors rather consistent throughout the years. The only times you will find something 'different' will be when they have added a feature. For example, I don't think any of the bikes below 850 had self-cancelling turn signals, so you won't find any of those wires (or their colors). A side stand warning light was added in the '82 models, so that wire does not show in the diagram linked in post #7, but on any bike that has that light, it will use the same color wire.

Either go back to post #7 and click on the link or save yourself the effort of going back one page and just click HERE.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I know that diagram,and thanks for the help.But it, it shows a green wire with yellow stripe from the starter button to the solenoid.A starter disconnect down near the solenoid.I dont see that on my bike. My wire is yellow with a green stripe,if that is the same, I have the wire correctly attached.
                              Last edited by ron bayless; 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

..., it shows a green wire with yellow stripe from the starter button to the solenoid. ...
                                When I click on it, I see a yellow wire with a green stripe.

A starter disconnect down near the solenoid.I dont see that on my bike.
                                You can't use the location on the diagram to locate a device on the bike.

That "Starter Disconnect Switch" is in the clutch lever housing.
                                That is why you have to pull the clutch lever to start the bike (unless that has been bypassed).

What is the current status of the bike? If I remember correctly, you were in the process of re-wiring an ignition switch.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X