Gs 850 G 81 questions or problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 850 G 81 questions or problems

Hello so I think I've come to the end of road with my bike I have tried loads of solutions but still no result It started when I road my bike around 20 miles it started to suddenly lose power and started misfiring until eventually it was to slow to stay on the motorway I pulled up at the side and left it for around 10 mins giving it time to cool after doing so it rode for a further mile or so and it started to do it again until eventually stopping I eventually got it home and I was told that the coil packs may have failed as that was the symptoms I replaced the coils due to coils being chineese copies to original Suzuki coils and thinking that may have been the problem fired her there was a misfire on carb 3 so I gave it to my friend to clear out he said the main jet was blocked and the bowls where looking ugly so he cleaned number three but didn't do 1 2 4 I fitted the carbs and bang the misfire was gone I took her for a good 10-15 miles and it felt abit fluffy top end so I know the carbs all need cleaning the next day I done around 30 miles and again had the loss of power misfiring to a stop so now I am completely lost if it was carbs it wouldent take 20-30 miles to start effecting the bike ? My mate said that it runs on a points system ? Spark plugs have been replaced running on cone filters but I think it have been upjetted any solutions would save me from selling the old girl.

It's difficult to give a specific diagnosis on just one sentence, but I'll try to help by generalising.

Your problem could be electrical, mechanical or fuel-related. The only way to know what is working is to give it the appropriate maintenance. For example, valves, carbs, charging system etc. Did you get a big fat welcome from Basscliff? If not, google 'Bikecliff'. It's the same person. Then spend a couple of hours looking the wonderful guides and explanations that he and others have contributed.

Also, unless the previous owner was a blood brother/long-term lover/mafia don, distrust anything you have been told about previous maintenance. The only sure way to know what is good is to check it yourself.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post

Also, unless the previous owner was a blood brother/long-term lover/mafia don, distrust anything you have been told about previous maintenance. The only sure way to know what is good is to check it yourself.
      Yes, indeed and also be skeptical of any quickee opinions from mechanically inclined friends;

Head to Basscliff's - pack food and drink, info overload is at hand

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The carbs haven't been stripped completly just yet but I can't see how after 20 miles that the carbs start to effect the bike I would assume that maybe it would effect the bike within the first few minutes of riding totatly replaced the coils it fires first time no problem but after say 20 -30 klm it starts to get fluffy an lumpy thus looseing power until eventually there is litrally no power meaning you have to pull up the bike then cuts out all the lights remain on with no problems I leave it around 5 minutes and she starts up again no problem the first 15 miles she will idle at lights no problem but then starts to run rubbish I haven't replaced no fuses I haven't cleaned all four carbs yet but I honestly don't think it is that ? And hello thanks for the big welcome .

Comment

Also that friend being a bike mechanic he is going to look at it but I just figured I could find out if anyones had this problem ?

Comment

You will only know it isn't the carbs if you clean them. Also check you voltage , is it charging properly. And your bike does not have points it has a igniter, a type of electronic ignition. Check the voltage at the coils, if it is low that will cause you problems. You have a 31 year old bike that needs 28 years worth of maintenance. Also you should figure out how to work on your own bike if you are going to ride a bike of this age. What are you going to do when you have trouble on the road out in east bum**** when the bike decides to die with no cell service?
            Last edited by hjfisk; 09-16-2013, 06:53 AM.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by fromos13 View Post
              Also that friend being a bike mechanic he is going to look at it but I just figured I could find out if anyones had this problem ?
              Bikes are easy. If everything is set up right it works - simple as that. Problem is when we start to trouble shoot with assumptions about what is or is not done. For example , you are running with cone/pod filters and she may have been rejetted. Well right there is a whole bunch of possibilities - not saying this is your problem. What I am saying is that sometimes it's quicker to assume nothing and just go back to basics. Sometimes you can fix problems that way and never know what it was.
              On your other thread we were talking about the fuel tap and your going to gravity and a peg to stop the flow. What exactly is the tap arrangement you are using? Is it the stock on PRIme? Have you had it apart and looked at the in tank filter.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The tank had no filter but has a inline fuel filter on it so if there was any debris in my tank most of it would be caught by that the tank was a vacum fed the valve inside the tank was removed the vacum hole was covered on both tank and carbs so its flowing pretty freely There's no problems there as for the 28 years matinence thing the bike was bought from a family of a guy who passed but where I live he was well respected and reknown for making and building show bikes in my city the wiring job and everything he has done is spotless I am learning I only started working on my own bikes a few years ago my actual profession is a barber so its taking me a while to learn .

Okay I've decided the carbs will be fully cleaned and readied I will check the jets I know that if you have cone filters on the jets should be between 127-130 stock size is around 125 ? I know that the coils are fine and problems of a cdi unit our similar to the coils except they just cut the bike out I know from expereince with a gs450 s is there Nything else I should try ?

Comment

Originally posted by fromos13 View Post
                  Okay I've decided the carbs will be fully cleaned and readied I will check the jets I know that if you have cone filters on the jets should be between 127-130 stock size is around 125 ? I know that the coils are fine and problems of a cdi unit our similar to the coils except they just cut the bike out I know from expereince with a gs450 s is there Nything else I should try ?
                  That's the spirit. Voltages and charging - like hjfisk was saying. Head over to Basscliffs site for ideas on testing and cleaning up the electrical system. Tom203's earlier post has the link. I noticed a big improvement when I cleaned the fusebox and any earth I could find.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I will check out the site and downloads some user manuals the charging system is that near the fuse box rectifier alternater etc ? I've read a few topiics on hear and a few people have had problems with the charging system I will test everything and give a reading and clean out the carbs check the jets sizes check all connections are clean and spotless etc and let you guys no what is going on

Comment

it sounds like you are having fuel delivery issues. I'd check both the fuel filter and petcock for proper flow and the fuel cap for proper venting.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hello guys so I pulled apart the carbs and checked through them and the bowls where fairly clean checked the jet had a little bit of crap everything look good until I took of the float needle underneath that was blocked with rust particles in number 3 and 4 when I say blocked it truelly was so blasted through it all and cleaned it throughly through have to take 1-2 off this week my mate explained iff the bowls struggle to fill it would struggle I was just abit confused as to how that can happen or why it took like 20 plus miles to happen ?

Comment

Your bowls were full when you started. A certain amount passed through while you were riding, but eventually the rate of consumption exceeded the sum of the initial amount of fuel in the bowl and the rate of replenishment. Just my guess anyway.

I'd suggest you thoroughly clean all areas of all your carbs now. A lot of the guys here will recommend you use carb dip (especially Berrymans), but unfortunately that's not available here in the UK. Alternative methods include ultrasonic cleaning, boiling in detergent etc.

If you search 'carb cleaning' on this forum, you'll find a lot of posts!
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Your absolutly spot on I think steveb922 the carbs fill from standing but when opened up the bowl needle base is blocking fuel getting in thus the bike trying to work of the other cylinders instead making it bog and lose power after a certain point I have added a addative to the fuel its a German company its clever stuff eats any crap in the fuel line carbs lines the tank clears any debris the lot that cleared most of the bowl crap can't wait to strip the last two carb bits and clear them fit it ride it and test it.

Comment

Working...
                            X