Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Dyna S and coils, what about wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Dyna S and coils, what about wires?

I guess i should buy new wires too.... Copper core or suppression core for my 79 GS1000L ?
    I read the tech specs on Dyna website, they say "solid copper core for use on older vehicles where electrical interference is not an issue".
    What about a stereo I haven't installed yet?
    I'm thinking I should get the suppression ones, just make sure I don't make Dad hear noise when he's on his Ham radios...
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

For future ref...
    I called Dynatek.
    The guy I talked to has a 78 GS1000.
    "Green coils and DW-200 wires, keep your stock resistor caps.
    If you don't have/want resistor caps, use the suppression wires."
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Scrap the caps and go with the Dyna 8mm suppression wires. They are not expensive and have no caps to break down over time.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I have the same Dyna setup on my 1980 GS1100. Green coils and W200 wires. I thought it was strange that the original Suzuki gear have copper wires and resistor caps while Dyna recommends suppressor wires and non resistor caps (the W200's that I got came like that). Anyway, it all seems to work allright. Note that you will have to cut the existing wiring and solder new eyelets onto the wires for the new coils (I didn't use the ones Dyna supplied with the kit - they looked pretty crappy to me). My wiring was so fragile, that I actually pulled the connecter blocks apart and put all new wires all the way to the blocks (fiddly but it can be done). Got one mile down the road and the wire on the harness side of the connector block broke. All fixed now but things can get very fragile in there due to the age and heat from the motor. While doing a test run to see if the engine would rev out, I missed third and saw the tacho go to twelve thousand. OUCH! I thought that would blow the motor for sure but it never skipped a beat. Jeez these things are tough. Just remember there is no rev limiter!

Comment

Working...
        X