Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hmm. those wires shouldn't be like that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm. those wires shouldn't be like that.

hey all,

bought a gs850g a couple months ago and will be tinkering with it all winter to a)keep me out of trouble and b)have it tip top and ready to ride in spring. i was just going over the electrical and noticed these wires barely connected. when to examine more closely and when i touched the wires they just completely came apart. i'll be looking for a wiring diagram today, but do any of you know what this electrical connection is? if you are facing the fuse box, this is to the right of that. there is this plug and two other plugs totaling 3. can i buy just the plug and then reconnect the wires?

thanks in advance. this forum is amazing. so. much. information!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's bad.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I might have one of those plugs and some pins in my pile o'parts - and I'm local.

There's a link to my email in my user profile. Pull the plug out and take a pic of the other side too and send it to me.

Comment

I'm going to guess your battery isn't charging too well anymore.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Go on Basscliff's site and there will be a manual for your bike that you can download. It will have wiring diagram in the back. Some of that appears to be part of the wiring connected to your r/r, may indicate problems of overheating of system. There should be article about testing system on Cliff's site also, called Stator Papers. terrylee

Comment

will do. i'll try to get at it in the next couple days. i'll email you once i have it out and take some more photos. thank you

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
            I might have one of those plugs and some pins in my pile o'parts - and I'm local.

There's a link to my email in my user profile. Pull the plug out and take a pic of the other side too and send it to me.

Comment

you are very correct.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I'm going to guess your battery isn't charging too well anymore.

Comment

thank you, i'll check it out.

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                Go on Basscliff's site and there will be a manual for your bike that you can download. It will have wiring diagram in the back. Some of that appears to be part of the wiring connected to your r/r, may indicate problems of overheating of system. There should be article about testing system on Cliff's site also, called Stator Papers. terrylee

Comment

I see a link for 1980 GS850G wiring diagram. Would that be applicable to my 1982?

Originally posted by terrylee View Post

Comment

You can remove the old metal connector prongs from the nylon-plastic and crimp new ones on ...of course you need to pull the plug first because you need to access the prongs' locking tabs from the front side.... I use the smallest Dollar-store jewellers' screw driver to push the tiny locking tab down and pull out the old prong .

You will have to cut those corroded wires back a bit! Hopefully, there's enough slack in the total length after to push the repaired plug back in..This could be the hardest part of the repair- having the available length.

Comment

Just put the colours back to match the ones coming out the back. Judging by the colours alone,these are the A/C output from the stator connecting to the Regulator/Rectifier. The red one will be the R/R's dc output,that charges the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        Just put the colours back to match the ones coming out the back. Judging by the colours alone,these are the A/C output from the stator connecting to the Regulator/Rectifier. The red one will be the R/R's dc output,that charges the battery.
                        I didn't pay attention to the wire colors - probably should have.

If those are indeed the stator wires, I'd bypass that plug completely & wire them directly. Many many posts and threads on that.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                          I see a link for 1980 GS850G wiring diagram. Would that be applicable to my 1982?
                          '82 is different than the 80~81' models. Plus you don't need a wiring diagram to repair that anyway.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

great, thank you.

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                            I didn't pay attention to the wire colors - probably should have.

If those are indeed the stator wires, I'd bypass that plug completely & wire them directly. Many many posts and threads on that.

Comment

yeah, i was thinking i may be able to just reconnect them without consulting a diagram. thanks!

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              '82 is different than the 80~81' models. Plus you don't need a wiring diagram to repair that anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X