gs1100g keeps blowing main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100g keeps blowing main fuse

I have a GS1100 G 83 model . the bike was running fine but now she keeps blowing main fuse . She'll sit and idle all day till I go to rev her and that's when she blows the fuse. Any iders on what could be causing this to happen.. The only thing i'v changed on her is LED indicators and flasher unit
    cheers
    fester

The guy who owned my bike before the guy I got it from told me that every couple times of revving it all the way out, the main fuse would blow. I hit all the big contacts and connectors (and the back of the fuseblock) with Naval Jelly and then rinsed it clean and have not had it happen to me at all. Maybe it's a corrosion issue somewhere between the main and the coils?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
      The guy who owned my bike before the guy I got it from told me that every couple times of revving it all the way out, the main fuse would blow. I hit all the big contacts and connectors (and the back of the fuseblock) with Naval Jelly and then rinsed it clean and have not had it happen to me at all. Maybe it's a corrosion issue somewhere between the main and the coils?
      yeap have done most of that but didn't think of the coil's. I'll go have a look
      Cheers

Comment

Nope that didn't help

Comment

A bad regulator/rectifier. (R/R)
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            A bad regulator/rectifier. (R/R)
            Yes just got on to that . Started the bike after disconnecting it and main fuse didn't blow
            Cheers guys thanks for the help
            Fester

Comment

My r/r is doing it's job apparently any other idea's I'm at a total lose with this bloody thing

Comment

a shorted stator will pop the main fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  a shorted stator will pop the main fuse.
                  how would I check that ???

Comment

Originally posted by Fester View Post
                    Yes just got on to that . Started the bike after disconnecting it and main fuse didn't blow
                    Cheers guys thanks for the help
                    Fester
                    My r/r is doing it's job apparently any other idea's I'm at a total lose with this bloody thing

Not certain what you are saying.

It is possible that your R/R (and stator) does function but at sometime, like under higher voltage (or current or temperature) the R/R (or stator) has something that just for a brief time shorts to ground and that would blow main fuse.

If disconnect the R/R from the bike harness, that will remove the R/R (and stator) entirely from the bikes wiring. The bike will start and run without the R/R connected (just will not be charging the battery).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Not certain what you are saying.

It is possible that your R/R (and stator) does function but at sometime, like under higher voltage (or current or temperature) the R/R (or stator) has something that just for a brief time shorts to ground and that would blow main fuse.

If disconnect the R/R from the bike harness, that will remove the R/R (and stator) entirely from the bikes wiring. The bike will start and run without the R/R connected (just will not be charging the battery).

When I rev the bike to 1500 she blows the main fuse but when I disconnect the R/R she doesn't. but with the R/R connected it's pumping around 13 to 14 amps or volts to the battery

Comment

Substitute a different R/R.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dump the Suzuki R/R and install a Honda unit. You will have to solder connectors, but once installed on the bike you can forget about R/R problems.
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

When I rev the bike to 1500 she blows the main fuse but when I disconnect the R/R she doesn't. but with the R/R connected it's pumping around 13 to 14 amps or volts to the battery
                            Because the stator puts out power and the R/R requlates it, does not mean that the stator or R/R cant have a problem where it blows fuse at high rpm (higher voltage, higher current).

I suspect the R/R.

Or is a slight chance it might be with higher RPM is more vibration and that is causing some bare wire to touch ground somewhere. Maybe could test that just by wiggling wiring harness and see if it blows fuse right when wiggle something.

Last edited by Redman; 11-25-2013, 06:54 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                              Dump the Suzuki R/R and install a Honda unit. You will have to solder connectors, but once installed on the bike you can forget about R/R problems.
                              What size Honda unit would you recommend ???

Comment

Working...
                              X