Testing the Regulator / Rectifier with Multimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the Regulator / Rectifier with Multimeter

This is a copy of a post I have in The Projects / Rebuilds section of my thread GS1100G Road Runner project.

So I'm following the Stator Papers testing procedure. I'm trying to determine if my charging problems are as a result of a faulty Regulator / Rectifier.
    I'm here:

I have the piece of kit off the bike and I am using a multimeter in the Diode Test position:

I get the same reading connecting the red multimeter lead to the red terminal and testing the three yellows.

Now the testing papers suggest that a positive result should produce a reading of 1.5v or better. What is a reading of 631? Is this reading .631 volts and and is the regulator / rectifier therefore below the 1v service spec? Is it functioning or not?
    Last edited by londonboards; 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

The first thing to do is not read those as trying to diagnose a bad R/R or bad stator sitting on the bench is difficult at best and the original stator pages do try and lead you down that path. If you have no other options it is OK, but a more thorough tests of a running bike will get you there faster.

There are updated Stator Pages see in my signature 'GS Charging Health and "Quick Test".

If it is not too far apart, just slap it back in and do the QT and report the results here.

You might also read GS Stator as well.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not an electrician. Can you tell me what 631 on the multimeter signifies?

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        Thanks. I'm not an electrician. Can you tell me what 631 on the multimeter signifies?

Greetings
        Neither am I.

However, since you are on diode test, I would guess it is a forward voltage drop of a diode in mVolts. 0.6-0.7v is a standard forward voltage drop of a diode. But I have not read the manual for your meter so consider it an educated guess.

Comment

probably 631 ohms, not a voltage drop if you are measuring resistance
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            probably 631 ohms, not a voltage drop if you are measuring resistance

Yez absolutely if he was on the resistance scale

Comment

Forward voltage drop in mV.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
              X