Synthetic vs conventional oil's effects on stator longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Then why do some of them still work fine after 35 years?
    Here's one for you guys:

I was given a folder about an inch thick with every bit of work done to the bike (my 82 GS1100EZ) when I bought it ~12 years ago. It had 30,000 miles on it then. It has 80K now. To the best of my knowledge, when I removed the stator and R/R, they were the original OEM items.

Never had any sort of charging issue in the 50K miles/12 years of ownership. I am replacing the stock R/R with an SH775, and the OEM stator with a Rick's unit.

The plug for the R/R was burned and corroded, so it was a matter of time before something failed. After examining the harness closely, I decided to replace it, as well along with the OEM ignition coils.

The Ole Girl isn't going to know what to do with herself!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Operative word there is some not all. Mine was crap. There is always some that work just fine, not the majority by any means.
      I think they all fail once the connections get corroded. Until then, they don't.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think they all fail once the connections get corroded. Until then, they don't.
        Not even, mine were clean as a whistle. Kept them that way since I bought it new. About the 4th year I had it, I noticed the connections were getting hot and took it back to the dealer. He took a look at them and we cleaned them and replaced the really bad ones, not 6 months latter the first stator died. The connections we replaced had burned again. Tested the R/R and tested fine, the stator was toast, couldn't even put out 15 ACkv on any one leg. Took the battery with it. Next time it happened (about 3 years later), took the R/R this time and the stator and battery again. Connections were upgraded to a HD type spade, didn't matter, 3-4 years AGAIN it burned out. Did everything over again and added a ground from the R/R to the battery and the frame. Poof another one went about the same time spam. I believe I still have 3 of the stators in my parts box.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I've seen some stator rebuilding services. Do you think running less windings/larger wire would help?

The higher the output the more heat that is going to be generated anyway (resistance/induction)?

But added resistance anywhere is going to make it work harder and produce more heat.

So, my best guess would be oil isn't going to have on a stator in a system with other issues..... Bad connections and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by Old guy View Post
            I've seen some stator rebuilding services. Do you think running less windings/larger wire would help?
            I believe one of the aftermarket manufacturers made a HD stator which used heavier wire. What difference that ultimately makes I don't know.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The higher the output the more heat that is going to be generated anyway (resistance/induction)?

But added resistance anywhere is going to make it work harder and produce more heat.

So, my best guess would be oil isn't going to have on a stator in a system with other issues..... Bad connections and what not.
              I'm actually running that experiment now-time will tell but apart from not mustering charging voltage at stoplights with the headlight on(and my bike idles pretty low too-800-950) it seems fine after one summer. A GSR member is Indonesia is also running a thicker winding...

Comment

How many fewer turns?

Comment

It'd be harder to get as many turns with thicker wire.

Comment

I plan on putting all the electronics in a hobby type electronics enclosure and reusing a 12v PC fan to cool the box.

Heat is bad for electronics. So is resistance. Heat goes up, resistance goes up, more heat is made, more resistance.

Comment

How many fewer turns?
                      I counted 35 turns taking old wire off. I got 27-30 back on using 18 gauge.

Comment

Close enough, doesn't that make less voltage at a given RPM but could provide more amperage once it's wound out?

Or have I got that reversed?

Comment

You got it right, the reduced windings would supply slightly lower voltage and the larger wire size would handle slightly more current.
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I will never buy a stator, now, anyways and that pleases me.

I did a similar thing to a windmill on a 12v system . It originally was limited to about a 2 amp output by the resistance of it's windings, in a strong wind, but of course it put out a useful voltage in a light air once I made the right airscrew that could spin fast enough.

Rewinding it to a thicker wire (with the same prop) meant it didn't kick in until there was more wind, but charging output was beyond 6 amps.
                            so, as to Heat ie: more current Dumped through the ol' shunt regulator-a concern to the actual regulator itself too- that is part of the experiment...it was good with the 6wire Honda R/R off a silverwing- now it's going through an Ebay cheapo R/R.
                            (as an aside: I think Honda had a good idea mounting the R/R In The Breeze and not tucked behind a sidecover...)

So! I don't actually don't expect "cooler" at high revs at Stator or at this Shunt-type R/R either.... maybe even the opposite-More Heat!. ..but at low revs, in town,hot day, yada yada, I think maybe yes.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Stator rewinders are few and far between. I have found one, however, and have enlisted his services to provide a few for me.

If you need a stator, let me know, I have a few in stock right now.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am wondering if ANYONE with a series regulator has fried a stator? If not, this thread is kind of moot. If so we need to keep looking....
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X