Gas gauge drops as speed increases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas gauge drops as speed increases

It is an 82 GS1100E. This is a strange thing, as the speed goes up the gas gauge drops. At 70 MPH it reads 1/4 lower than sitting still. If it is topped off and reading full sitting still, at 70 it reads 3/4. You can watch it drop as the speed goes up.

When did this problem start. How long have you had the bike?
    Have you checked the charging system voltage when the problem occurs?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have had it for 20 years, I haven't checked the voltage when it happens. I guess I need to strap my fluke on it and go for a ride, or just check it stationary.

Comment

All mine seem to do it and I attribute it to the air rushing thru the back of the gauges and cooling the bimetal strip that actuates the needle itself. Slow to a stop and it reads correctly again. But my drop is maybe 1/8 of a tank at the most. Ive learned that its just an indicator thats "relatively close" and not like a cars as far as consistant accuracy.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          All mine seem to do it and I attribute it to the air rushing thru the back of the gauges and cooling the bimetal strip that actuates the needle itself. Slow to a stop and it reads correctly again. But my drop is maybe 1/8 of a tank at the most. Ive learned that its just an indicator thats "relatively close" and not like a cars as far as consistant accuracy.

It will go back up as soon as I slow down. When I speed back up it drops. I am going to check the charge voltage at speed and see what it looks like.

Comment

Update

14.6 volts at 70 MPH, stock gearing, at an idle 12.5 volts, at 2500 rpms, 13.5 volts. Does it sound somewhat normal for a GE1100. It has an AGM battery in it, it's about 10 months old. The battery is made in Vietnam, a little scary, but it cranks it over good.

Comment

It make sense what Chuck has said, My gs1000 Gs gauge did the same thing and I hadn't really paid it much attention ,but then I realized it doesn't change as much with the fairing on the bike. You could try blocking airflow some how and see if that made a difference. Also agree they are not very accurate.
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

My 650G does the same thing and I have no charging problems whatsoever...it's funny, because it looks like it is just sucking the gas back, like a big yacht.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Neither of my '850's did it and I can't fathom them being from the factory that way either. I could be wrong but it just doesn't make sense. Vehicle owners would be up in arms if that were the case today.

Comment

When I fill up the 81 1100 the fuel gage moves all the to empty. When I get to about 1/4 tank it reads normal all the way to empty. Yes I ran out of gas a couple of times but that's a whole other story...
                    Last edited by storm 64; 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

That's the result of a break in the fuel tank senders resistance wire.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        When I fill up the 81 1100 the fuel gage moves all the to empty. When I get to about 1/4 tank it reads normal all the way to empty. Yes I ran out of gas a couple of times but that's a hole other story...
                        HUH?
                        Maybe your sending unit needs to be looked at

Comment

Gas gauge problems

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                          My 650G does the same thing and I have no charging problems whatsoever...it's funny, because it looks like it is just sucking the gas back, like a big yacht.

The same here. I started to say that I don't have any charging problems. I will say I don't have any I know of. I was thinking that a resistor, in this case the variable resistor in the tank. Will draw more amps if the volts go up. There is a formula amps=volts divided by resistance. You can calculate the amp draw with that formula, and when the volts climb so will the amps. I am wondering if the increased amp flow at higher RPM's makes the gauge drop. I need to test it sitting still and see if the gauge drops with voltage rise.

The wind is interesting, I cant figure out technically how it would change the reading so consistently, but I have learned to never say never until the fat lady sings. I am going to dig into it more, and I will post what I find.

Comment

That'll be interesting to see where you get to...since I installed my new R/R, my charging numbers are consistent above idle, so I don't think that increasing Voltage output with RPM is the gremlin in my case.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Red1100E View Post
                              I am wondering if the increased amp flow at higher RPM's makes the gauge drop. I need to test it sitting still and see if the gauge drops with voltage rise.
                              The voltage 'should' be stable above 2500 rpms so I doubt that's the case in this instance. Voltage reduction caused by corroded connections resulting in a current change? BUT only at speed? most curious indeed.

Clean the all connections in the fuel gauge circuit and try it again.
                              Last edited by rustybronco; 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X