Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical nightmare

Hey fellas,

Yet another question for the books. So when I got my 79 550 I was in a bit of a hurry; before buying I started it, rode it around, then continued to let it idle for a minute whilst I paid the PO. When I bought it, I failed to lift up the seat to look at the massive amount of electrical work that [seems to] has been redone. I have a rat's nest under my seat if I have ever seen one before.

This being said, when I first brought the bike home, I was able to kick start it in about 2 kicks normally, and it would only take pressing the start button once to get him to fire up. Since, it seems as though the electrical has been QUICKLY draining the battery. On a fully charged battery I can press and hold the start button and it will turn over and fire up for about 2 seconds at a very low idle then cut off. I have tried starting with the choke and carbs on, on prime, with a full throttle, etc. Can't kick it to life, and it won't stay running with the starter button.

After about 5 tries starting it, my battery almost completely dead. I went and bought a brand new battery and the same thing continues happening.

The R/R looks fairly new

and there is what looks like a fairly new after market "Power Center" (which I am assuming is simply the fuse box) on it.

It seems to have an aftermarket horn and signals and the battery has been downsized for some stupid a$$ reason, but otherwise, just seems like a lot of stuff was re-located.

(the red and blue wire clips go with the tank)

Any ideas as to why my battery is not staying charged upon trying to start the bike?

It's quite frustrating getting a "new-you-bike" and not being able to hop on it and ride off into the florida sunset. Help me please!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM.

That's a pretty impressive setup- of course, something ain't working so go here and start reading
    do the "Quick test" first
    Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah I am unfortunately at a disadvantage as I did none of the electrical work, and some of the wire colors have been changed etc. so although an upgraded electrical system is nice, I wish it came with a manual haha. Thanks for the link!

Comment

".....It's quite frustrating getting a "new-you-bike" and not being able to hop on it and ride off into the florida sunset. Help me please!!! "

News flash! best to doublecheck everything before you put your life at risk with someone else's handiwork!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yup, so I have no problem going over it and trying to fix it. Just anxious to get on there and ride.

Comment

Eastern beaver replacement fuse panel. Later MosFET regulator/rectifier with eastern beaver hard shell connectors. Definitely not a low buck style of repair. Personally I don't care for all the replacement spade connectors.

Did the seller ever say it was being ridden daily? Or do you think this was non plated bike because he was still having troubles with it?

If it were me, the first thing I would do is unplug the connector with the three yellow wires coming from the stator that are plugged into the R/R and see what the A.C. output of the stator is at 5,000 rpm's.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

What's your battery voltage. Agree with rustybronco. The setup seems to be newer and better then stock. Just need to make sure that everything is connected correctly and in working order. Don't worry about color code. Just make sure it's connected to the right place. Three wires from the stator to the correct R/R locations. Ground wire from R/R to battery and positive out from R/R to either the fuse box or straight to the battery through a fuse. If it will crank and start but not keep running then either the battery voltage is WAY low with no charger output or the carbs are out of whack.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Checking all connections dills gently before any test would be the most prudent approach

Comment

So it sounds like your stator is shot but someone took a really nice R/R and fuse block then mucked it up. Might want to start over with the connections like the other folks have suggested and run through the stator checks.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I will also agree. Nice R/R, even better fuse box (Power Center), probably a bad stator, but checking everyting will verify.

Just so you know, that fuse box sells for $60. I think it's worth it, I have one on three of our four GSes here.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try a new battery after checking all connections- you mentioned the battery was too small. It should still charge if it is the wrong size. If battery is good you know you have a charging issue- plenty of know how folks in this post to get you going again.

Comment

Maybe all that junk under the seat is plugging the airbox, now that you've started fiddling with it?

Also, why not see if the battery is draining with the key off? Usually, tha 10amp function of a cheap multimeter can do this. But yes, by the look of it, you will have quite a job Comprehending what the PO did and Why....

Comment

Sorry guys I've been outside working on it after I got off of work. I think I will have to agree with everyone in saying that the stator seems to be shot, from everything that you guys have been saying as well as what I have found online. I fully charged my brand new battery, again, put it on the bike, and attempted to start it via switch, and it didn't turn over, the battery seemed to just be drained.

But, I kicked it a time or two and she fired up. I guess there was just enough charge left. So I rode it around for a bit after starting it, and went through the gears shifting at about 4500 RPM's, and when I got back I turned the key off and went to turn the bike back on, and it still did not want to start with the switch.

I don't have the time this week to get a voltage meter, but I plan on doing an oil change this weekend to [hopefully] solve my oil leak problem and bogging down...as well as put on my new shorty mufflers, but I will also get a voltage meter and see whats going on with the electrical system and see if the battery is being drained.

Side note: that's pretty awesome that the fuse box is a good upgrade; I honestly thought it was a piece of garbage haha. I love the R/R as well as the fuse box, but hate the location of basically that entire rat's nest. Here's to cleaning it up soon

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            Just make sure it's connected to the right place. Three wires from the stator to the correct R/R locations. Ground wire from R/R to battery and positive out from R/R to either the fuse box or straight to the battery through a fuse. If it will crank and start but not keep running then either the battery voltage is WAY low with no charger output or the carbs are out of whack.
                            This is basically exactly what happens when I try to start via starting switch; it turns over, but basically if I don't continue to hold the switch then it doesn't continue to run. Seems like my next step is buy a voltage meter and check it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X