All 4 Flashers... All the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All 4 Flashers... All the time

SO I am putting together my 1987 GS650E project. I have everything back together but turning on the flashers (right or left) all four lights flash at once. I looked over the wire diagram and I cant figure out how that is possible. I checked the switch with the ohm meter and it is functioning properly. Any one have an idea where to start?

Does your "project" include LED turn signals?

And, ... where do you live that you have a 1987 650E?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

no they are regular bulbs. All for are connected. It does has a automotive type 2 prong flasher in it though. That was there from PO.

Comment

I am in Wisconsin. Why is that not normal?

Comment

Congrats... You now have emergency flashers.

Seriously, can you give us some history on this bike? Did this suddenly happen or is this the way the bike has been since you purchased it.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

LOL. Yes they work great for that. I bought the bike not functional, so I am not sure if they were always like that. It was in pretty bad shape, and wanted to customize it and get it back going. The wiring harness is in pretty good shape, but there were a few things changed by the PO. I fixed everything I found and got it back to stock (according to the wire diagram). Everything else is working as it should. I haven't checked to see if there was anything up with the turn indicator, but both sides of that flashes as well.

Is there something special about the '87 E model?

Comment

Originally posted by kart74 View Post
              Is there something special about the '87 E model?
              It has been my understanding (and probably that of many others here) that the 650 (E, G and GL) was only available in '81, '82 and '83.

Sometimes, other parts of the world got certain models before or after we did, so I was wondering just where you were.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

HA! yea you are right. It is a 81. I don't know why I was thinking 87 last night. Sorry about that. So any ideas on this flasher thing? Does anyone know if there is just one bulb for the indicator? If so I am thinking that maybe that is the issue and is bridging the 2 sides together?

Comment

.. Does anyone know if there is just one bulb for the indicator? ...
                  Yes, one indicator light on instrument panel for the turn signal.
                  And separate contacts in the switch just to operate the indicator, somewhat separate circuit from the right and the left.

Your project still include stock wiring harness, or... rewired to basic-minimal...?
                  Last edited by Redman; 04-23-2014, 07:32 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Does anyone know if there is just one bulb for the indicator? If so I am thinking that maybe that is the issue and is bridging the 2 sides together?
                    You are the only one that is close enough to look at your instrument panel.

Do you see one turn signal indicator or two?

If there is only one, AND you had LED turn signals, that would be the problem. For that to be the problem with stock bulbs, there would have to be a short in the bulb or the socket. Try removing the bulb, see if you still have 4-ways.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X