Turn signal switch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal switch help

Can someone please help me with this confusion?

Here is the switch that is on my bike, I broke it yesterday, is it correct for 1980?

What year and model is this on off of?

If I could get the right wiring diagrams, maybe it would be possible to put end from the switch that was on my bike and wire it to the handlebar end of the one I got ahold of? Or would it not work..

No reason why you can't wire up the old one to your new handlebar switch, horn wire goes to horn, indicators to indicator and lights to lights

a quick search for wiring diagrams will get you there.

Comment

Originally posted by CartoonLifeStyle View Post
      No reason why you can't wire up the old one to your new handlebar switch, horn wire goes to horn, indicators to indicator and lights to lights

a quick search for wiring diagrams will get you there.

Exactly, I just need to know what the bottom switch is off of so I can find the right wiring diagram.

Comment

The bottom one is similar to the one I use on my 550.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          The bottom one is similar to the one I use on my 550.
          Similar or the exact same? If someone could clarify I would be able to use BikeCliff's site for the diagram and hopefully go from there.

Comment

It looks similar to mine but I cannot tell you it's the same without looking at the wiring diagram to compare your connector. Take a look at the connector in the 550 diagram and compare.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The switch with the square button is the correct part for your bike. They are readily available on the used market, and not crazy difficult to get inside either. Several threads in the archives on how to rebuild them. I'd use the proper switch. It provides momentary contact to start the flasher, unlike the older style switch which used constant contact. Not sure the TSCU would function with the older type switch.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                The switch with the square button is the correct part for your bike. They are readily available on the used market, and not crazy difficult to get inside either. Several threads in the archives on how to rebuild them. I'd use the proper switch. It provides momentary contact to start the flasher, unlike the older style switch which used constant contact. Not sure the TSCU would function with the older type switch.
                Thanks Nessism, looks like I should just get the right switch then. If I could find a thread on how to put one back together that would be great, not sure where that thread is buried. If I can't find anything. I might have to buy one.

Comment

Second one looks exactly like one on my son's 79 850. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                  X