Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Stator now R/R Bad????

Hello,

I just restored my 1979 GS750e. I thought I would go ahead and change the stator while it was apart. Before restoring the bike ran perfect!

Now I have the bike all back together with new stator and same original R/R. The bike is tuned great however now I can ride the bike fore 30 minutes or so and the light gets dim and the bike will die if its not at idle. when its like this I can let is sit for a lil and it will start via kick starter.

Did my new stator fry my R/R? If I put a new R/R should I be worried about any additional issues?

Thnk you!

If that is the oem r/r, it's probably bad and it took out the stator. I would recommend a new SH775 and be done with it.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Read GS Stator in my signature.

Also do a Quick test just to see what is going on before you do anything. Report the numbers if you want help diagnosing.

Comment

Thank you!

So I tested he Stator and the R/R. All seem to check out. I did check my battery and it only measures at 9.6??? This is a brand new battery!?!?!?! Could a new bad battery be the issue?

Thank you!

Mark

Comment

It is normal procedure to test a battery under load. Since you have not posted those numbers I do not know. However your battery is obviously in a low state of charge whether it is good or bad. Further you can't test your charging system unless you have a good battery. I hope that lays out the basic test protocol for your battery and electrical system.

Comment

Surprise us with numbers from quick test - note you need to start with fully charged battery!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello, so I bought a new battery because my last new battery tested at below 10volts.

I went through the testing sheet on FAQ. When I got to the stator test was were the sheet led me to a Bad Stator (keep in mind I just bought this).

My reading when revving at 5K RPM were 20.

Could I have installed the stator wrong? Its not grounding out according to my multimeter

Thank you!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by odl777 View Post
                Hello, so I bought a new battery because my last new battery tested at below 10volts.

I went through the testing sheet on FAQ. When I got to the stator test was were the sheet led me to a Bad Stator (keep in mind I just bought this).

My reading when revving at 5K RPM were 20.

Could I have installed the stator wrong? Its not grounding out according to my multimeter

Thank you!

Mark
                You should ignore the FAQ stator pages.

Read GS stator in my signature and other links there

Comment

"My reading when revving at 5K RPM were 20.

Could I have installed the stator wrong? Its not grounding out according to my multimeter"

Note that the AC stator test has stator Disconnected from R/R. Also test your meter on AC house outlet,then use same scale on stator test
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Did the 79 have a 12 pole stator or an 18 pole stator?

Comment

It should be a 12 pole.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Will the stator off my 1978 GS 1000 fit? I am about to try swapping that one in.

Update:
                        Last night I installed my old stator...however the wires were very bittle and broke at the rubber grommet. I tool the Grommet of the new stator that failed and soldered the wires to some new wires. Does any one see a problem with this?

and Yes I was replacing as preventative maintenance.

Thank you!

Mark

Comment

I was replacing as preventative maintenance.
                          I see a problem with this. The old one was fine?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Will the stator off my 1978 GS 1000 fit?
                            No........
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Correct tKent, the old stator was fine but the wiring was very brittle at the rubber grommet. So I purchased the Ebay stator and wish I never did!

Should I be good using my old stator?

Comment

Working...
                              X