Lost a coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a coil

So my theory about coils seems right. it looks like I lost the 1/4 coil cause it took 20 minutes to start and 1/4 had no spark. I checked for 12vdc switched and found that so I ohm checked the coils iaw the service manual, and got infinite resistance. good thing I had a pair of the dyna "mean green" dc1-1 coils I bought the for my 81 kz1000m1. it developed a miss on 2/4 with the dyna coils so I put the factory coils back in it and got a miss on on 2/3 with the factory coils and never got around to putting the dynas back on which is why I'm using them on the gs650. Nowi just have to get some plug wire terminals and make new wires since some of the wires I made for the kz1000m1 are too short.

Sorry for your lost, I can only hope the replacement will console you.

Comment

i shall give it a proper burial . well hopefully with two operational coils it won't be such a chore to get it up to 50-60mph

Comment

Did you try measuring the coils secondary resistance sans plug caps?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes. I checked both primary and secondary windings and got nothing

Comment

so in addition to the coil, i think the signal generator is also going out. i got the coils installed and took her for a test run. the performance didn't change. so when i got home i pulled the plugs for 1 & 4 and checked for spark. still no spark. so i ohm checked the signal generator (and this is for the gs650g model, which is what i have), and got 421 ohms metering both ways. is it time to find a dyna s kit, or will a used signal generator work as well?

Comment

Working...
            X