Nippondenso vs. kokusan ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nippondenso vs. kokusan ignition

I have a gs750 (77-79) which will be going under the knife in a build I'm about to start and I have a question on the two points systems available for these models.

I understand that the Nippondenso and Kokusan ignitions are different. But if I get the mechanical advance trigger and adjuster plate with condensers from one model, or the other, shouldn't it just work on my 750 regardless of what was installed originally? If everything is swapped out for one type of ignition system?

in other words, can I switch between both if I replace the backing plate with condensors and the mechanical advancer / trigger? I have access to a complete electronic ignition but my GS was negleted by her PO so I don't have a reference to what was there previously. Thanks for your help.

*** EDIT *** here is a picture of what I'm hoping to install on the GS750. Wondering if this would work. Would this be the same as a Dyna S with no need for an ignitor?

Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM.

Yes it should do... At least that's the way it is with the 550 if I remember correctly.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Updated my previous post with a pic showing parts exactly like I have. I'm thinking they are later model GS electronic ignition. Not sure if I need to use a 81+ electrical harness.

Comment

Looking at what you have, you'll need the wiring harness and an ignitor to make that setup work.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I agree with Dale. You will need an igniter to make that work. It would be cheaper and more reliable over the long term to just install a Dyna S and be done with it.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I much appreciate the help.

By the sounds of it, I'm likely better off selling what I have and going with a Dyna S kit. Would be much less trouble than getting a harness and ignitor.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Yes. When you go to sell it, it is called a "Signal Generator". You will want to keep the mechanical advance, btw. Basically, you can sell the plate with the wires attached. Keep everything else.

Comment

Working...
              X