Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fouled plugs - New Dyna Coils. Hesitation at lower RPM..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fouled plugs - New Dyna Coils. Hesitation at lower RPM..

Hey ya'll -

Was riding the other morning and my bike started acting a little sluggish at low rpms (under 3.5k). Rode it around on a few occasions to make sure I wasn't imaging things, and the problem continued. Yesterday it started to feel like it was running on 3 cylinders. I did a little water test on the headers, and boom - cylinder 4 not firing. Pulled the plug, and it looked a little fouled (I'm including a picture because I'm not sure if it was actually fouled). I replaced the plug and cruised around a bit and things seemed to be better. Got on the bike today, and the sluggishness returned. Replaced the other 3 plugs, ran the crap out of it, and things seem to be back to normal (great throttle response at all rpm).

I recently installed the green Dyna coils and the bike was running great for a couple of weeks until this happened. Any ideas on what could be causing this issue? The plugs I pulled out that i'm picturing below were fresh as of March or April of this year.

photo-2.jpg

One thing to note is that I'm running D8EA plugs with the Copper core wires. No resistor in my circuit.

Comment

Normally you want much better lighting and a look down the end of the plug. From what I see you are way too rich; but the again the picture is pretty bad.

Comment

Terrible picture I agree- here is a better one

photo-3.jpg

Comment

What would running rich indicate on these bikes?

Comment

The plugs indicate the richness. You can look it up but your are primarily looking at the base of the insulator. Your pictures are too dark and not looking down the end to see deep inside.

What at have you done to the intake, exhaust, carbs, jetting?

Comment

As far as I know, carbs are stock. Bike has stock air box as well as stock exhaust.

Ill upload better pictures in the daylight tomorrow of the plugs.

Thanks!

Comment

photo-4.jpg

Hope this picture is a little better

Seems like cylinder 3 is the worst looking. As I said, I believe the bike to be completely stock when it comes to intake and exhaust. The only thing i'm not 100% sure on is the jets. The previous owner said he took off a rusty old 4 into 1 pipe and replaced it with a nice stock pipe (i've confirmed that it's actually stock, it has the suzuki warnings on it and all). So I guess it is possible that it had larger jets installed at some point, but I find this hard to believe because for the past 3 years the bike has been running great for the most part (and i've never seen burnt plugs like this when replacing them).

Since running the Dyna Coil (only about a month now), everything was peachy until the low rpm sputtering and lagging followed by cylinder number 4 going down all together. Replaced all the plugs last night, and going to go on a 3+ hour ride today, so we'll see if any problems present themselves again.

Could the Dyna Coils be burning up the plugs? I have noticed that on starting the bike it seems to really take a lot more energy (lights dim almost all the way down, and they didnt do this with the stock coils), and it almost seems to hesitate when starting up.

This post may seem vague, but i'm trying to nip this little issue in the butt before any larger problems come down the pike!

Thanks! !

Comment

Oh, and one more thing to note -

When cold starting the bike, there seems to be some sort of "fire in the tubes". It's not a loud backfiring, just a kind of clicking coming from the header area. It's usually followed up with a kind of burning smell. Maybe this is indication of what is going on?

Comment

Number three plug rich indicates a possible problem with that carburetor. Float level too high, leaking needle and seat etc.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I agree with rusty, on carburation. But you are also indicating an electrical problem with hard start Do the quick test on my signature and report the results.

at the moment it is probably safe to assume jetting was restored to close to stock, but check if when you pull the carbs
                      Last edited by posplayr; 09-05-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X