starter switch problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter switch problem??

new member here, picked up a 77 gs750 and am bringing it back to life, thought i had points/condenser problems, but further investigating im led to believe that my starter switch is the issue. I hit the starter button and no power is going to the coils, just straight to the starter solenoid. Is my switch the problem? i can unplug the start/kill harness thats by the headlight and cross all 3 terminals across and then i get spark, once it starts i keep the power that goes to the "switch" jumped to the coil power and will continue running...does this make sense? Is there a way i can fix this besides a different switch? i plan on bobbing the bike so it doesnt have to be factory by any means...thanks folks

The right hand switch gets positive power with key" on"which is fed to kill switch which feeds ignition coils and starter button . When you press starter button , power feeds to clutch safety switch on clutch lever: then it runs to starter solenoid. Probably good idea to keep kill switch, but clutch safety switch is not needed so it can be bypassed in headlight bucket.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Because you have power to the starter it's most likely not the switch itself. Check the Orange/White wire that comes from the right hand switch and verify you have +12V with the ignition and kill switch turned on. If so then check the connector located under the tanks where the O/W wire connects. I've seen a number of bikes where that connector is melted. If you have power there then keep tracing the O/W wire to the coils to verify where you're loosing voltage.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

well see I can "bypass" the whole switch itself and it starts and runs...and there is no clutch switch

Comment

Explain how you're "bypassing" the switch. Might explain what's going on a little better. Detail please!

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

im unplugging the starter/kill switch, disabling it, that's in the headlight bucket, that's 3 wires. I can stick a wide screw driver in the connector with the which would cross all 3 wires there and it will crank and spark then, and when it starts I just have to move off of the starter wire with the screw driver it and will stay running.

Comment

Sounds like it's the switch assembly then. You can try to disassemble it and see what's messed up or you can just pick up a used replacement. They're all over the place. I'm sure a member here has one they need to get rid of.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

so are you saying you have one? cause ill take it then lol

Comment

Working...
                X