No announcement yet.

Turn signal control unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi bodin62. Sorry, i sold my GS so i forgot to look back to this forum.
    In the diagram i have written out the colors on the wires. On my 850 they match the colors in the old diagram for the whole bike.
    In my diagram, if two lines are crossed it does not mean they are connected to each other. However if there is a dot where they cross it means connected.

Tanerrc. Your cancelling relay seems to be soldered exactly the way i did it. Maybe you could try moving from 87a to 87 if your relay is working "normally connected"
    --Stalin

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Once I get the relays I will try to wire it up according to your diagram.
      I did look up the price for a new control unit and it was around $400, so your work around is a lot less expensive.

Comment

I'm too having problems with the turn signal on my 1982. The right signal works fine when slid to the right, but it doesn't shut off automatically after I make my turn. My left turn signal on the other hand works intermittently. I pull it left and most of the time it doesn't come on. Instead, I usually have to wiggle it back and forth with my thumb a few times to make it come on. I'm usually halfway through the turn I was trying to signal before I can get it working correctly. The left signal does shut off though after I finish the turn.

So can these units be disassembled and rebuilt or should I just buy another setup on Ebay?
        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2015, 01:57 AM.

Comment

So I'm back to trying to get this thing to work. I noticed a mistake I made in the wiring and now I'm a bit closer. Both signals behave the same now but still don't work properly. I can get the left to come on and stay on not blinking and same with the right. If I make the switch go left and then right without canceling the signal in between, then both sides will flash like hazard lights.

I tried switching the cancel wire to 87 on the cancel relay instead of 87A but the signal would just turn on not blinking and turn off as soon as i released the switch. I'm not sure what "normally connected" means either.

I'v gone over the diagram a bunch of times now to make sure my wiring correct and I think it it. It's so close but I'm not sure what to do from here.
          2011 Honda Shadow 750RS (Sold)
          1979 Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
          2002 Yamaha Virago 250 (First Bike)(Sold)
          1980 Suzuki GN400 (Parting Out)
          1980 Honda CB650C (Bobber)(Sold)
          1980 Suzuki GS550 (Street Tracker)
          2013 Yamaha Super Tenere (Sold)
          1979 Suzuki GS1000 (Daily)
          1977 Yamaha XS750 (Sold)

Comment

So I've triple checked everything and I'm sure I've got my wiring set up just like on your diagram. Is there any chance that the signal relay that is already on the bike, you know separate from the 5 that I've wired together, has gone bad and that is why the signals aren't working. I've got the lights to blink just not the right way so I"m assuming that means the signal relay is working. I should also mention that the turn signals aren't stock but I'm 90% sure they worked with the old TSCU before it crapped out.

Any help is appreciated.
            1979 Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
            1977 Yamaha XS750 (Sold)

Comment

I got them working! Turned out the flasher was bad. Even though it had continuity and I could hear it click it wasn't doing the job. Switched it out with a buddy's 2 prong flasher and it worked perfectly.

No auto cancel as expected but I do have hazard lights now. As long as I don't cancel inbetween switching from left to right they'll both flash.

I'll try to post some pictures of what I made to hopefully help people who have as much trouble reading a schematic as I do.
              1979 Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
              1977 Yamaha XS750 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Tanerrc View Post
                I do have hazard lights now. As long as I don't cancel inbetween switching from left to right they'll both flash.

I'll try to post some pictures of what I made to hopefully help people who have as much trouble reading a schematic as I do.
                Please do post some pictures, for posterity and the community here.

I'm also curious about the hazards. There have been times where I've wished I had them for a little more visibility.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                  Please do post some pictures, for posterity and the community here.

I'm also curious about the hazards. There have been times where I've wished I had them for a little more visibility.
                  If actuating both side turn signals at the same time, which is possible using this setup, the signals will flash faster because of the increased current draw of four lamps. The solution would be to replace the stock flasher with an electronic one. This would allow for LED bulbs to be used as well as the stock incandescent.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I bought a new relay and the turn signal module new for around $200 combined. That was for a 1980/1981 type. I understand that 1979 is different.

I really wanted the cancelling to work though.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                    X